Got lube?

-

swingtown

master of the mech. thing
Reaction score
Ok going to fire up the '69 swinger 4speed. I want to do a fluid change in the tranny. What should I fill it with. Type,weight, or brand? Mostly street driven. And it's never been apart. But needs some seals replaced. Like side cover and yoke seal. Just wanna put some good fluid in it. I'll probably change the front seal as well. Any thoughts? Or opinions? Thanks for chiming in:burnout:

I just had my 4 speed rebuilt and he said to use any 90wt gear old, but NOT synthetic because then it will be too slippery for the synchros and you'll have a hard time shifting.

The way he explained it that the synchros are like a brake, they're supposed to slow down to match speed so you can shift. When they're too slippery and can't slow down, then it's hard to shift.

That's what he told me at least. I'm no expert at this so maybe someone else can verify if it's true.

Any good brand of 90 wt gear oil

I agree, but only because you list in New Mexico. The service manual says to run ATF in there but back in my younger dumber days, I couldn't wrap my head around this? So I stuck 90 wt gear oil in there and forgot about it. The next cold morning my shifter was like stirring mud for the first 30 miles. I went back to ATF and called it lesson learned. Since then, I've heard of running everything including 10w-30 in there. I agree, stay away from hypoid gear oils or anything with friction modifiers.

next question how many qts does it hold? thanks i run redline in the TIII(spirit r/t) tranny also.

-
Back