Got me a new truck with a slant Six, what should I do?

-
I bought one of those for $800 in the mid '90's. It would boil the tires, if you wound it up and dumped the clutch. Traded it for a '71 Challenger body

Nice truck! I see someone got rid of the emissions carb & went with an older Holley 1920. That will eliminate many future issues. I wouldn't change a thing,just drive it. The more you tinker with it leads to enjoying it less.

Went an looked at that truck. Nice truck. Did you pay near the askin price? Yes or No is all I want to know you dont have to tell what you actually paid

The slant is great for low-end torque and the long runners give a little torque surge ~2500 rpm. Perfect for a truck. The 1 bbl is fine unless you plan to scream the engine (and look like a fool). Ditto for the factory exhaust, just insure the heat riser (round weight) rotates freely. I had trouble with many Holley 1920's until I finally got a good one. If yours works fine, keep it. You have the e-beam welded aluminum intake manifold, which is very light. Some say they can be porous and leak, but a good epoxy paint or powder coat fixes that. If you have a points distributor, upgrade to HEI (many threads). If the factory Mopar ECU, keep it but keep a spare module in the glovebox. Next time at a junkyard, take the mini-starter and cable off an 80's RAM V-8. That will save 10 lb and real easy to swap on a slant. Not sure why yours has a heat shield, never seen that. I thought truck slants had the alternator mounted on the driver's side.
Ahh (and look like a fool). A 4 barrel is not a foolish up grade and is not
for fools, who ever they are.. A four barrel is there to meter the air and gas flow.........................................................................................................................................and yes it works better even without screaming it.
smooth none restricted metering of fuel and air.. or am I :sign3:

I'd leave alone it looks awesome.
I possibly would to, but.. it would be hard to resist wanting to if I wanted to :D
I agree a hard decision if I wanted it for a daily driver and put $$ some whereells, but as soon as something else was dun I would move forward if it was mine

Ask on Slant Six Forum.
This is a mopar /6 discussion I think, I will make sure...

Nice truck! I see someone got rid of the emissions carb & went with an older Holley 1920. That will eliminate many future issues. I wouldn't change a thing,just drive it. The more you tinker with it leads to enjoying it less.
I agree 40 percent, tinkering is time spent with a cool driver, if he wants to do a upgrade I would.... if he don't I would not.. I tinker :D

I got it for less than what the guy was asking. I saw it on craigslist and thought I had to have this truck haha. I love tinkering on things so I just can't leave it be.

I'm thinking a comp cam 264S
: http://www.compperformancegroupstor...oduct_Code=64-241-4&Category_Code=CHRY466Cams

A 390 four barrel carb and an offenhauser intake and some headers. If anyone has any of these parts for sale, I might be interested. I have nothing but time to dream up what I want to do with this truck haha, oh and now that I have this one, my 87 RAM short bed is up for sale. The pic is a little old and right now its sitting in a storage unit in Manhattan, Kansas.

Attachments

• 200169_1305872662431_1790698_n.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 352
Looks like the beginning of a fun project !!Great lloking trucks here !! Got to say I love my Slant 6's but just can't ever leave them alone.Let me look in my parts drawer and see if I don't have a cam,lifters springs,Offy Intake and Clifford headers I could part with !! There may even be a 390 Holley in there too Here's my latest /6 project:

IMG_0513.jpg

Thats very pretty. Those Aussiespeed parts cost a little more than what I would like to pay for slant six performance parts haha, but well done.

that truck is awesome! I say tune it up good and call it a day. Nice find!

I think the Air Force bought a bazillion 4 door (6-pack) Dodge trucks. They would have been 3/4 ton or at least heavy half, 2WD, slant 6/727, base interior and dark blue. I've seen these from mid 80's models back to the sweptline era.

sick truck! I wish I had yours to park next to mine. all I think it needs is a 2bbl and electronic and you'll be golden. maybe a mild cam.

sick truck! I wish I had yours to park next to mine. all I think it needs is a 2bbl and electronic and you'll be golden. maybe a mild cam.

I agree, but I have been looking at intakes and the 2bbl intake is asking a
crazy price on ebag :protest:

I am going to look at a similar truck tomorrow. Blue '84 long box 150, /6 O/D 4 speed. It has a Weiand adapter for a two barrel on it. Don't know what it looks like or what carb is used. Guy said he bought it off an engineer who did the conversion.

I agree, but I have been looking at intakes and the 2bbl intake is asking a
crazy price on ebag :protest:

Yeah, forgot that now that these engines are growing in popularity, people want pretty pennies for their super six stuff.

I saw one on a volare in the junkyard once but some knucklehead cut one of the runners trying to cut an exhaust manifold bolt.

I am going to look at a similar truck tomorrow. Blue '84 long box 150, /6 O/D 4 speed. It has a Weiand adapter for a two barrel on it. Don't know what it looks like or what carb is used. Guy said he bought it off an engineer who did the conversion.

yes! that's the ticket! Bruce and Rob have both mentioned this adapter plate. If I recall correctly, you can use a Carter BBD with it.

Love to have an old truck again , but no possible wher i live , all gone . Hard to find anything in the earlt 2000,s that not rusted bad.

that truck is BAD ***.. it would ba a shame to modify it. Drive the hell out of it.

It would be nice if I could get a super six intake for it but at the current prices I have seen it would be better to just get a clifford four barrel intake and call it a day. But If I do end up finding a 2 barrel intake for it, what carb do you guys recommend? I'm going to try and get more pics for guys here soon. Also, my dad had a hyperpak set up back in the day that hes is going to try and find again for me. He had given it to my uncle years ago, lets hope he still has it.:toothy8:

Gorgeous Truck! keep the slant, great torque motors. I would love to come across a cool looking truck like you have with a slant. I like the manifold and 4 bbl idea.

-
Back