Got my tranny completely resealed

-

danielb927

Reaction score
And, it still leaks!!

:banghead:

I mean, at least not as much and not as fast, but in multiple spots... I just paid 400 bucks for this... if a reseal kit wont' do it what will?

For $400 I'd take it back to where it was "fixed" and get it redone

I'm planning to give him a call... His shop was recommended to me by another classic car guy in town that restores a lot of them himself but sends them there for work. It didn't leak for a couple weeks but now there's a decent puddle under it after about a month and a half! (Plus the power steering, but that's another story...)

There's a puddle under the rear seal, and another one under the front (torque converter cover area?) I think they are both from the tranny and separate from the power steering leak.

I guess next time I drive it (if it's before winter!) I should check the level when warm. It's possible it was overfilled and is just getting back to normal now. If it's at the proper level, I'll clean up the leak now, let it sit for a month, and see if it stays dry. It just doesn't make sense that a brand new seal set should leak after 2 weeks but not right away...

Did you install the trans yourself? Could be a leak from the cooling lines that run to your radiator. The rear's I've seen leak with a new seal. Check the yoke to make sure there is no wear on the out side of it where it slides into the tail shaft.

Nope, I didn't install it. I bought it in May, it had a big leak so I took it in since I don't have the facilities to drop the tranny and the leak was mainly from the selector shafts and front seal. The shop did all the work and I got it back ready to drive home.

Update: Took the car in, he said the tailshaft area is rough but the seal tapped in tight the first time so they thought it would seal. Obviously it didn't, so they took the seal out and put in a new one with some sealant around it for no charge. Going to pick it up today, hope it holds or I'll be looking for a new tailshaft housing!

-
Back