Got rid of cable

-
I've found that I'm actually happier if I don't find out about those things. News is mostly doom and gloom. Today's headlines: Japanese Earthquake and tsunami. Isreali war. Ukraine war. I quit when it was all Covid, bashing Trump, bashing Biden, bashing Sanders. Everything else is just reruns, remakes, or reruns of remakes. I just stick to buying a few movies here and there, and never buy a movie I'm not willing to watch more than twice.
I understand

We've been cable free for years. We jump on the 99 cents a month deal for Hulu every year on Black Friday, we also add Disney+ for $2 for the kids. Between that and Netflix we have stuff to watch whenever we want.

I also bought a big over the air TV antenna and mounted it in my attic, I get all of the local channels with it.

Spectrum was our provider or, as I call them. Spectrum up your rectum. They did a big bait and switch on my wife. Total lie about how they would lower our bill and everything would stay the same. Streaming now. Hulu. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks but, I’m getting there. F’m.
We did this last year. Just have Comcast for Internet service. We stream the rest.

They'd offer the moon to get our business, then never offer any type of deals for established members and they always went up every single year without adding to their lineup. I may be a dumb redneck, but I'm not a stupid one

fios and comcast does the same thing. all i have now is fios 1g internet. IPTV now at 20 bucks a month

We are considering dropping Netflix. Years earlier they produced a few very enjoyable series. Haven't found anything there that suits our taste in quite a while. Like the old saying, "can't please all the people all the time".
We have a firestick. Best thing about it might be its remote. It doesn't need an aim at the firestick itself. Also, Youtube and more are loaded on both the Vizio smart tv and the firestick. All those aps respond faster on the firestick than they do to the tv's remote. By the way, If you get a firestick and finger out how to add a ap called filmplus, Then network tv shows come back, those epoisodes can be watched next day on filmplus without all the commercials.
As for what we've watched recently... A film titled Very Finest (Tommy Lee Jones) was pretty good. A series titled Lawman Bass Reeves aint bad. It aint Yellowstone but it aint bad. Only 7 episodes in the 1st season kinda sux. More "must wait tv". LOL

Any form of media where I can't skip, block or otherwise avoid big corporate advertisements gets a hard pass from me. I forget how much I hate cable TV until I'm out somewhere that has it playing.

I'm not a huge fan of either cable or a satellite dish. When we watch stars it's totally commercial free during the program that you are watching, they only have commercials between shows. One thing that you all probably haven't thought of is if they ever do away with cable or dish for your TV that the rates for your internet will probably double. Just like having your groceries delivered for free, if they were ever to eliminate the box stores we all will be in for it. Keep in mind that there's no such thing as FREE, I don't care what it is.

I have an antenna up in the attic. , as of Jan 1st they just gave me more channels .. 56 now, all free

Yes, there is some redundance , I have a couple of the same channels , but.. I get local news and weather from the tow large City's near me .. Sioux Falls and Sioux City ..

Plenty for me to watch since I only have a couple free hours a day .. I cut the cord over 5 years ago, never regretted in since.

I have an antenna up in the attic. , as of Jan 1st they just gave me more channels .. 56 now, all free

Yes, there is some redundance , I have a couple of the same channels , but.. I get local news and weather from the tow large City's near me .. Sioux Falls and Sioux City ..

Plenty for me to watch since I only have a couple free hours a day .. I cut the cord over 5 years ago, never regretted in since.
I wish that I could've kept my antenna, but I got tired of the signal dropping off and not being able to finish watching whatever was on. I think that eventually they will scrabble the signals so that antennas won't work anymore.

Same here. Been a antenna guy since i was a kid. Love building my own for Tv and dxing AM/FM radio. Sadly my 200meg internet is up to 89 dollars a month :BangHead:.

I have a Firebox or whatever it's called....lol, but i don't use it as i'm fine with the 50ish channels we get out of Charleston.

You guys with cars need to stop watching all that streaming and get to work. Sorry, forgot about Mom and the kids...lol

My sister has hers, her hubby's and both their GROWN 30 plus year old daighters' cell phones and their cable rolled into a "bundle" to "save" money and it's like $360 a month. I don't see how they do it. Their TV is streaming capable and yet they refuse to do it.

Ok fellas help me out here, I’m not up on the latest. What’s streaming? How do I get it and good advice to change. I have Verizon on all phones and tablets, Breezeline for cable. We’re on the outskirts for internet (county is trying to do broadband?) so we’re limited. It’ll have to be good change to convince the wife (she watches all college sports and golf)

Ok fellas help me out here, I’m not up on the latest. What’s streaming? How do I get it and good advice to change. I have Verizon on all phones and tablets, Breezeline for cable. We’re on the outskirts for internet (county is trying to do broadband?) so we’re limited. It’ll have to be good change to convince the wife (she watches all college sports and golf)
If you have a smart tv and wireless modem you have all you need. You just need to set up the account on your tv.

if you do not have a smart tv you can use a amazon firestick, roku box and a few others but those are the two most popular.
Like I said you’re speaking to “dummies for TV” here. I’ve heard those items but don’t know what they do.
We’ve had same cable for 44 years but still have the antennae in attic.

Streaming is the continuous transmission of video or audio. You can pause it, replay it, rewind, its always there compared to tv cable or air programs that broadcast all at once and that's it. If you dont have broadband, streaming might not be for you. The more devices you are streaming with the bigger tax on the internet access.

Like I said you’re speaking to “dummies for TV” here. I’ve heard those items but don’t know what they do.
We’ve had same cable for 44 years but still have the antennae in attic.

best bet then is to get a local young person you may know to help explain and set you up.. i'm not really sure how to explain it. basically you stick these in a tv. then you can downlowd free apps on them that you can watch tv on. this woks the same way on a smart tv only you don't need the sticks i have posted below.. there are also a ton of pay apps too you can watch. search youtube for how to stream. tons of information about it with video. video makes it easier to understand. atleast for me it does.

hers is firestick. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C1W5N87?tag=fabo03-20

roku https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HDBZN7Q?tag=fabo03-20

Streaming is the continuous transmission of video or audio. You can pause it, replay it, rewind, its always there compared to tv cable or air programs that broadcast all at once and that's it. If you dont have broadband, streaming might not be for you. The more devices you are streaming with the bigger tax on the internet access.

This is streaming...

Beavis pee in pool.jpg

Last edited:
Beware of putting Comcast/xFinity on "Auto Pay"...
I did it in Detroit and when I moved and cancelled my service, they kept charging me for 3 months.... :wtf:

They only refunded one month and kept the other two months fee... :icon_fU:

That's why I don't do auto pay on anything any more....

Thanks to all I’ll look it up on u tube like one said

Thanks to all I’ll look it up on u tube like one said

Best way I can describe it that makes sense in the simplest way is you're basically using your TV like a "limited" computer. On a computer you open a web browser and go to YouTube or any of these streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu etc. and watch movies and shows. On a smart phone you download an application for each streaming service to do the same thing. A smart TV or older TV with one of the add-on "boxes" basically also does the same thing but they have the applications for each streaming service installed on the TV itself (smart TV) or on one of the add-on devices. And it all comes through your internet.

-
Back