Got the duster out !!! But.....

-

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
Ran my old car after 6 years , bought it back from a friend of mine..he didnt really took care of the car beside regular maintenance , somebody palyed with the kickdown linkage a couple years ago and with the march 1 pulleys and never came back to finish the job ....belts.are squeeking really hard and the trans doesnt feel right in 2nd and 3rd is great...car sems hesitating to shift in 2nd when leaving a light or a stop sign...2800 stall , 727 , shift kit and oil cooler....can it be the kickdown ? Bands ? Or torque slipping away ? Im not a transmission guy and when i sold him the car 6 years ago it was running A1 , has a 380hp crate and 3.91s

Make sure KD linkage is adjusted properly and ensure there is enough transmission fluid would be my first 2 things to check.

I have a Lokar KD cable and feel its never been "perfect," its pretty damn good right now though. Just shifts into 3rd at like 44mph which seems high.

Pull out the dipstick and check the transmission oil. It should be a nice red color. If it's black and smells burnt, then you might have some serious issues. Black/burnt smelling oil to me would mean that I'm dropping the pan and seeing what if any crud is laying in the pan.
You say your friend didn't really take care of the car, so that may be part of the problem. As mentioned by DentalDart, check the KD linkage.
I have my doubts about the converter causing you an issue, however if you see a load of crap in the oil pan, it will also be in your external cooler and the converter. The cooler you can put a new one in it's place, but the converter should go to a quality converter shop to be opened up and freshened up.
Hopefully there are no major problems with your transmission and you don't have to get it rebuilt.

Oil is red and smells like trans oil...the trans was rebuild when it was mine, 2009-2010ishh , 2800-2900.stall : i wonder if its because i pushed it hard and it was at a 140 degrees ( engine ) but ran a good 30-40 mins before doing a stupid little burnout and some hard starts....car was stored and barely ran in the last 2 years , 10x times max....ill bring it to a trans shop to ajust the kickdown carefully , i just hope it can shift propely again...the 2nd was the one that was shifting funny

-
Back