Grand Caravan?'s

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Hey all. I have a problem with the wife's van. About 2 months ago the power steering hose at the cooler broke. I replaced it filled with fluid and she drove away. a few weeks later the hose blew again. I fixed it and tried to figure out why. but could not find anything. a boddy told me it had to much pressure and to check the fluid level. all checked out good. Well a week ago it damn thing blew againand now it hutters when turning at low speed or low RPM turning. I am wondering how can I tell if the pump or the rack is going bad?
All help is neede due to the more I work on her van the less I get to work on the Swinger. Thanks.

I'm guessing there is probably an ASE Mopar mechanic or two on here, but lacking that, call the local dealership's service department and tell them what its doing. It may be a known issue.

Spoke to our head mechanic here, and he figures it's most likely the pump. It's creating too much pressure, maybe the "dump valve" if I'm getting the term right, is plugged or something.

He was kinda busy on a CR-V p.o.s., so I didn't want to bother him too much.

Yep, sounds like the pressure relief valve is stuck and the line pressure is ridiculous. Line pressure that is too high will damage the pump and it will start to growl in situations like you are describing. Change the pump before you wind up changing a rack along with it. I would also advise flushing the system when you get the pump changed. Disconnect the return line, put it in a bucket, cap the return fitting on the pump, and run power steering fluid through until you get nice clean fluid out the return line.

Thanks grumpuscreature. I have the pump on order and should be here in the morning. I checked my manual for the van and it says to remove the exhaust to get the pump out from under the van. Sounds like another few days of NOT working on the Swinger. Damn-it.

-
Back