Grant? Steering Wheel Help

-

QMopar

Reaction score
I recently picked up my first A body (74 Dart Sport) and it appears to have an aftermarket Tuff Wheel-looking steering wheel. It was very loose (all three bolts were finger tight) and it's also very close to the turn signal stalk - so much so that my knuckles smack the turn signal stalk. It's no wonder the T/S cam was broken (a new one was in the trunk).

So, before I replace it and put on the wheel, would anyone be able to confirm what I need to gain a little space between the wheel and the column? Here's what I have:
IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_1963.JPG

IMG_1964.JPG

Thanks all!

~Q

I hear you can bend the turn signal arm a little, but have not done it myself

Maybe put the end of it in a vice and bend it outward a bit.

Wow, I'd rather not spend $150 - is there another spacer option or is this it?
You can buy the longer, cheaper, e-body crush can and cut a section out of it and reweld it. Or maybe try bending the turn signal stalk like other suggested

You can buy the longer, cheaper, e-body crush can and cut a section out of it and reweld it. Or maybe try bending the turn signal stalk like other suggested

Ok, maybe I'll look into the E body one. Thanks -

~Q

I would sell that wheel and get a deeper dished one.................................. cuz it will forever look like a tractor-wheel if you don't,lol.
3" or more deep dish and a big fat foam rim, and no more than 13 inches in diameter if you have power steering. Then you have a "fast-ratio", have better steering control,and can do figure-eights and stuff. But you will still want to customize that signal stalk, or at least make it shorter.
Oh wait, that's what I did,lol.

Ok sorry for the tractor-wheel comment......

I would sell that wheel and get a deeper dished one.................................. cuz it will forever look like a tractor-wheel if you don't,lol.
3" or more deep dish and a big fat foam rim, and no more than 13 inches in diameter if you have power steering. Then you have a "fast-ratio", have better steering control,and can do figure-eights and stuff. But you will still want to customize that signal stalk, or at least make it shorter.
Oh wait, that's what I did,lol.

Ok sorry for the tractor-wheel comment......

I like the tractor wheel! I think I may have found an extension to make this one work but, who knows, I may be on the lookout for something else - we'll see. Plan is to get it road worthy for Carlisle. Thanks for the help guys!

-
Back