Grear vendors

-

69phish

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I would like to take the time to telk you about my gv installation so hopefully it will help someone. So I installed this in a 69 barracuda. The process isn't that difficult bit of course nothing goes right
First the tailshaft didn't want to come off, it was tight. Then the tail house extension didn't want to go on. Now I had it jacked up all around and on my back in the driveway. I thought i wasn't spreading the snap ring far enough bit turns out I just needed someone to tap it on while I held the snap ring open. Then after i installed the overdrive I couldn't get the cross member to line up because it was hitting the tunnel. Now gv says you only need about half an inch in 2 areas but that wasn't the case with mine. Gv says to hit these areas with a hammer to dent ot in but under the car I couldn't swing and hit hard enough to dent anything. So what I ended up doing was cutting the bottom of the cross member then welding a plate to each side and dropping it down about an inch and a half. This worked great although I had to shim the transmission mount back up to get it as close to the tunnel floor as possible. I had measured the driveshaft with the yoke all the way in center ujoint to center, then subtracted 5/8 per instructions to get correct driveshaft length. I still ended up being3/8 too short, don't know how, but it does not seem to be a problem. The electronics are easy to hook up but one important thing I watched a video some guy had a lot of trouble until he realized the wires on each end of the plug in harness weren't correct so his wiring was wrong even though he did it right. So I made sure to check and make sure the right colors lined up on both ends before plugging it in. Not too bad. I have 391 and 26 inch tall tires and at 70 was at around 3700. Now I am at 3000. With a taller tire I can get it down to almost 2650. I hope this helps. If anyone has questions feel free to ask. Thanks.

Hello everyone. I would like to take the time to telk you about my gv installation so hopefully it will help someone. So I installed this in a 69 barracuda. The process isn't that difficult bit of course nothing goes right
First the tailshaft didn't want to come off, it was tight. Then the tail house extension didn't want to go on. Now I had it jacked up all around and on my back in the driveway. I thought i wasn't spreading the snap ring far enough bit turns out I just needed someone to tap it on while I held the snap ring open. Then after i installed the overdrive I couldn't get the cross member to line up because it was hitting the tunnel. Now gv says you only need about half an inch in 2 areas but that wasn't the case with mine. Gv says to hit these areas with a hammer to dent ot in but under the car I couldn't swing and hit hard enough to dent anything. So what I ended up doing was cutting the bottom of the cross member then welding a plate to each side and dropping it down about an inch and a half. This worked great although I had to shim the transmission mount back up to get it as close to the tunnel floor as possible. I had measured the driveshaft with the yoke all the way in center ujoint to center, then subtracted 5/8 per instructions to get correct driveshaft length. I still ended up being3/8 too short, don't know how, but it does not seem to be a problem. The electronics are easy to hook up but one important thing I watched a video some guy had a lot of trouble until he realized the wires on each end of the plug in harness weren't correct so his wiring was wrong even though he did it right. So I made sure to check and make sure the right colors lined up on both ends before plugging it in. Not too bad. I have 391 and 26 inch tall tires and at 70 was at around 3700. Now I am at 3000. With a taller tire I can get it down to almost 2650. I hope this helps. If anyone has questions feel free to ask. Thanks.
Sorry I meant to say I couldn't get the crossmember bolt holes to line up because the top of the tail house extension was hitting the tunnel. Also I think this is one of the best add on that I have done. I'm very happy with the performance.

Did you need a B body mainshaft for this?

What did you use?

Is the best case to get a B body A833 and procede?

Thanks!!

Any pictures would be much appreciated

I had the same problems with mine but not the difficulty, as I worked out the bugs on a 4-post drive-on hoist.
and So, I cranked the trans up into the tunnel and pounded on the GV to make marks on the tunnel, then took the trans down, to pound on the impressions. Thus my dimples were in the exact right place. After a few tries the GV ended up pressed as high as it could go, and I moved on to the Crossmember, which, like yours, wouldn't fit. But mine was only a quarter inch or so short, I simply slotted out the holes. I had a poly spool mount up there, so I slotted it a bit too.
As to the Electronics , I think I used them for like a couple of days. Man that thing shifted slow! After I bypassed the module, it shifted like lightning, and so I started using it as a splitter. Shazzam that car got fast!
But, be advised, I was already using the A833od box, so now I had 7 useable ratios. including Double overdrive!
It didn't take me long to install 4.30s, lol.
Over time, and with other circumstances, I came to the conclusion that 7 gears was easily two ratios too many for the street. So I got me a CommandO gearset and plugged that in. The CommandO is the same as the standard 2.66 box except it has the 3.09 low.
With 3.55s back in, this becomes a super nice system.
Most of the time I drive it as 5 speed, but shifting into over after third gear. This gives me a short fourth and a deeper Fifth. (.715)
but when I am hotdogging, I split between first and Second, and again after second.
This gives me 4 very-tight ratios with just one pull on the stick, and she tops out 103 mph in second over, at 6800! Then into 4th it goes at 3550
Here are the Commando ratios in black and the GV in red, followed by how I use them.

3.09-2.41-1.92-1.50-1.40-1.09-1.00-.78
3.09-1.92-1.40-1.09-.78, normal driving (.715 od from 1.09)
3.09-2.41-1.92-1.50, splits of .78-.80-.78, hotdogging
The starter gear is 3.55 x3.09= 10.97, which is about same as 10.97/2.66= 4.12s with the standard box.
The 10.97 starter lets me run parades at 550rpm=4mph
I've had the GV now for about 20 years

Btw, it upshifts faster than I can pull the stick, but when downshifting, it inshifts a little later than when I push the button. So, I have to give it a couple of milliseconds before clutching it for a downshift, and then it outshifts by the time the clutch is back. It just takes getting used to. Oh, BTW, the GV manual says I'm not supposed to downshift into it, on account of this action can break it, instantly. I found that to be true.
Once the GV is all-in, I can't hurt it with my 400hp 367.

My opinion is that of all the combos I have tried, which is about every one, this combo is darn near as perfect as it gets, for the street. and for 400hp in the Eighth. My car goes 93 with it, at 6160, on a cam the peaks about 5500/5600. This ends in 1.50 ratio. @1.40 ratio, this drops the Rs to 5760.. One time I accidentally shifted from Second over to third, before the traps, and by the time I glanced at the tach, it's like WTH just happened, cuz the Rs were already back in the zone. It was like the Rs never dropped! But this was in fact, a 400 rpm drop, right about at the Power peak. Shazzam!

I highly recommend it, lol

PS, if you're gonna powershift the GV like I do,
get yourself a clutch-disc with a hub and springs that can take this kind of abuse, cuz my engine eats 340 discs and spits out the springs. One of mine cracked most of the hub out, one fine afternoon, lol. But I limped it home. This............ on the street, with 295s; Cooper Cobras IIRC, but mightabin BFGs, I can't be sure.
I changed my driving style., just a lil.

Last edited:
What did you use?
I know you didn't ask me.....
But I used a big fat steel IDK what it was out of shaft, and installed 1350s on it. I got tired of exploding the rear adapter joints.
Well ok, I only dropped the shaft to the pavement one time. The other time the vibration warned me.

I know you didn't ask me.....
But I used a big fat steel IDK what it was out of shaft, and installed 1350s on it. I got tired of exploding the rear adapter joints.
Well ok, I only dropped the shaft to the pavement one time. The other time the vibration warned me.
I’m happy to ask you AJ

What trans mainshaft does the gear venders require in an A body. The website says to change to a B body length mainshaft. …. Unless I’m reading that incorrectly.

Or do you just use an A body A833?

I’m wording this poorly.

They call it an “output shaft “

IMG_1257.png

You asked:
"What trans mainshaft does the gear venders require in an A body. The website says to change to a B body length mainshaft. …. Unless I’m reading that incorrectly."
This is correct.
I had to procure a long shaft, which is commonly called the B-Body output shaft.

At the time I got mine, 2004ish, the ONLY way it came, was with the B-body length adapter-casting, which was good, cuz to fit the GVod into an A-body with a Short tail trans adapter, would have required opening up the floor. As it is with the longtail, now several inches rearward, it is still daymn tight.

After the GVod was installed in my 68 Barracuda, the driveshaft needed to be shortened by however long the unit was, plus the difference between the A and B body tails. This brought it down to IIRC under/around 3 ft.
The GVod has the LARGE spline output same as the A727. and mine came with a 1350 yoke; so from that point on, you can use any driveshaft-core, cuz yur gonna have to cut it anyway.
In my case, I just sent the two yokes and told the shop I needed it be able to withstand 450 hp. I sent along an old driveshaft for them to cut up. But after cutting the one end off, I guess they decided it was unacceptable cuz I got it back that way, lol.
It cost me a lotta money, but it's never given me a lick of trouble.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the mainshaft length. I didn't change mine. But the tailshaft adapter is longer than the original. I ended up with a 31inch center to center driveshaft although had to get one from the shop because mine was to thin. I had 1 from a 741 case and 1 from a 489 and neither would work.

-
Back