Great 340 block I scored

-

retsud_043

Reaction score
I just got back from an hour and a half drive into the middle of nowhere thinking I found the deal of the century........A std. bore 1971 340 block for $100.
As I was unloading it out of the trunk of my Neon,:wack:, I found out why it was such a great deal!!!!!! ](*,)If I didn't have bad luck.....I wouldn't have any!!!!!

340bb.jpg

Yeah, I'm gonna see what kind of character this guy is. I guess I was too busy pissing my pants just finding a block that I never really gave it that close of a look over.

He should have at least mentioned it rather than let you believe it was a good block. It may be able to be repaired but will probably cost quite a bit. I wouldn't be happy with him.

I'd be interested in buying the main caps and bolts from you if you decide to sell them.

Thanks.

Retsud, I'm sure this guy doesn't want this back. See if you can get him to refund your money or a good portion of it and sell the caps/bolts to Tom and try and break even. Chalk the time and fuel up to experience.

Not a good deal for sure, but on the other hand it could be repaired depending on how bad it is.

Buddy of mine is into '64 ford galaxies and has had a similar repair done to a 427 side oiler - hole thru the side of the block. Of course a 427 side oiler is a heck of a lot more rare than a 340 - but Ive been seeing some pretty hefty prices on 340 blocks lately too.

Tell the guy your issue, see what needs to be done to salvage it, and then work a deal with him.

Good luck with it.

Geez, I have a fully machined one with caps that is useless for free ...lol. Only one crack..lol.

I feel sorry for you.

But I can't believe you didn't inspect the block better than that before paying for it.

In all actuality he didn't screw you,you screwed yourself.

At least it was just $100

I have a spare 340 block for my dart that I painted with gloss black rustoleum and glued a piece of plate glass too and used as an end table in my basement.
A very nice conversation piece:sad3:

" for sale - one beautifully machined coffee table base... resembles 340 engine block. Will paint color fo choice and clearcoat machined surfaces..." lol

got a standard bore 1970 340 short block,never been apart ,original pistons ,miked the cylinders out and right on the money,no taper or ridge,includes timing cover,also 727 trans fresh ,pro built 35 to 3800 stall converter, shift kit, racing clutches,kelvar band ,deep pan sfi flex plate for $1200 in s fla. guarantee in writing good core short block and also a bad a..sob trans.

throw in a brand new B&M proshifter complete with cable installed and conduit around cable, includes all small parts. righteous deal

got a standard bore 1970 340 short block,never been apart ,original pistons ,miked the cylinders out and right on the money,no taper or ridge,includes timing cover,also 727 trans fresh ,pro built 35 to 3800 stall converter, shift kit, racing clutches,kelvar band ,deep pan sfi flex plate for $1200 in s fla. guarantee in writing good core short block and also a bad a..sob trans.

Wish I lived closer to Southern Florida, that sounds like a decent deal.

-
Back