Green bearing

-

CRUZE 418

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me if green bearings feel like they have preload. Or should they be free.

I would imagine that there is a bit of resistance to turning due to the lube in the bearing.

BUT...

if the axles are touching the button in the diff you might get some preload that is not desirable.

I have the axles out, the bearings just seem to have a lot of drag on them. I bought this car about a year and a half ago, the suspension was all done and disc conversion. Suppose I shouldn't assume, that it has new bearings. They seem smooth, just a lot of drag.

Take a run down to your local parts store and ask to see a axel bearing for a 60s through 70s Ford mustang large V8 ie ford 9"

Same type of sealed bearing, see how it feels.

They'll have drag, because they have permanent seals installed.

Will check that out. I do not know how old they are. Both sides do not feel the same, but would imagine that they were replaced at the same time. Got this all apart , installing a sure grip and new bearings in the hog head.
We'll get it checked out.
Thank you again for the help.
Will let you know if I find something.

As long as they turn smoothly you're good to go. Pull the o rings off and install the axles for a test fit. If they slide in all the way flush you don't need to remove the button.

-
Back