Green bearings and inner seals

-

sydcuda

Reaction score
I'm about to install new axles in my shortened 8 3/4 housing. The axles have the Green bearings installed. Notwithstanding the Green bearings are already seald I know that some still use the inner seals with them for added insurance against leaks (Dr. Diff suggested I do the same), but I dont have the inner seals and dont want to order them in from USA unless they are essential.

Question: Who out there is running the Green bearings without inner seals? do they seal perfectly well, so that I can expect no leaks if I dont use inner seals?

Ta

I run the inner seals with the greens. Do you have the old seals, if so take one to a bearing house, I'm sure they got them "down under":-D and they should be able size them up and get you what you need. There maybe even a CR**** number on the face of the seal which really makes it easy.

Terry

Thanks Terry, but I dont have the old seals. I've got so much going on at the moment that I just dont want the added hassle of sourcing new seals unless I really need them.

Thanks Terry, but I dont have the old seals. I've got so much going on at the moment that I just dont want the added hassle of sourcing new seals unless I really need them.

If you don't use them then you run the risk of a little bit of rear end oil escaping down around the O.D. of the green bearing and making a mess of things. Take a measurement of the rear end tube I.D. (should be a nominal number) and the axle O.D. at the seal area and use that to get your hands on a couple seals. Keep bumping this thread up and someone might come on and give you the CR number. I'll look and see if I can find it.

Terry

They are not needed.

Have your green bearings got a oring on the O.D. of the bearing race. The National number for the seal is 8695S.

Yes Terry the bearings have an O ring. I pushed one of the axles into the housing a little and it seems it would be quite a tight seal as is. I know you get a little added insurance with an inner seal but I may as well install and be damned ... or suffer a leak down the road that is.

But if anyone has experience in using the greens without the inner seal and can say that they've had no leaks, that'd make me feel more at ease!

I just had my Dana 60 narrowed , Mosier told me I didn't need the inner seals , the green bearings shouldn't leak .

Cuda MiniTub work Augest 09 resized 010.jpg

I just had my Dana 60 narrowed , Mosier told me I didn't need the inner seals , the green bearings shouldn't leak .

The key word here is "shouldn't" leak. Theoretically they shouldn't leak but I've had enough experience with these so called sealed bearings to tell you it can happen once in awhile. As Clint would say "do you feel lucky, punk"? LOL

I see your down under so I don't know what auto parts stores you have there but my local O'Reileys keeps those inner seals on stock for less than $5 each.

Yes Terry the bearings have an O ring. I pushed one of the axles into the housing a little and it seems it would be quite a tight seal as is. I know you get a little added insurance with an inner seal but I may as well install and be damned ... or suffer a leak down the road that is.

But if anyone has experience in using the greens without the inner seal and can say that they've had no leaks, that'd make me feel more at ease!

It all depends on the condition of the housing that the bearing fits into. I've seen the odd one with good size scratches on them that would not allow the oring to seal. If yours are good I'd say go for it. Use some silicone oring grease so you don't slice the oring putting in the axles. Also do a dry run without the orings to make sure that there are no other obstacles like the axle thrust block or the splines on the axle side gear (differential) aren't lined up.

Terry

Thanks fellas, and particularly Terry, for your input. The housing ends are in good nick, shouldnt present any immediate leakage problems, so I'll install and see how it goes.

-
Back