Green Bearings vs ?

-

WyKev

Reaction score
I know this must have been covered here somewhere but I can't find it.

Setting up my 8.75 and am going to replace all bearings.

Trying to figure out what bearings to get. I plan on running this Dart hard with some track time. I'm hoping to do some road race/ canyon carving with it and heard "green" bearings can't take the side loads.

So are timken style the way to go? Stock?

Any body have it straight??? Help!

I just re-read an old article by Rich Ehrenberg from a couple of years ago on that very subject. From strictly an engineering point of view, the side load capacity of balls is much lower than that of tapered Timkens. His main point is that, if Chrysler engineers had though that balls were as good as or better than tapered rollers, they would have put them in the rear ends.

I just re-read an old article by Rich Ehrenberg from a couple of years ago on that very subject. From strictly an engineering point of view, the side load capacity of balls is much lower than that of tapered Timkens. His main point is that, if Chrysler engineers had though that balls were as good as or better than tapered rollers, they would have put them in the rear ends.
I would never be afraid to use Green Bearings... with one exception. WyKev's planned use of road racing the car. I'd use the tapered bearings for that type of abuse.

Chrysler did a lot of things that were over kill. Left hand threads on the left side of the car comes to mind.

If you were completing hard with it, I might think differently. But driving fast down the street, with street rubber, and not going all out 100% of the time.... Greene bearings are fine.

Thanks guys and Demon 416 in particular!

Looks like the safe bet for my situation will be the stockers.

Fabo is awesome!!!

-
Back