"Green Bearings" with 8 3/4 question

-

FJ5

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question. Do you have to put the outer wheel seal also called axle seal in when using a green bearing? I was wondering because the sealed green bearing has the rubber O ring around it. This looks like it would seal to me. Or am I too much of a newbie?

Never hurt to have double protection againt's Leaks!!!

This may be a stupid question. Do you have to put the outer wheel seal also called axle seal in when using a green bearing? I was wondering because the sealed green bearing has the rubber O ring around it. This looks like it would seal to me. Or am I too much of a newbie?

The "Green" bearing comes with its own retaining flange.
I would advise installing the inner axle housing seal.
When doing this, make sure the inner seal is install deep enough to clear the wheel bearing retainer.
I have gotten away with just relying on the o-ring on the bearing, but the inner axle seal will give the best chance along with the o-ring against leaks.

Maybe not ideal to have the backside of the bearing being washed in gear oil either. Could potentially leak through the bearing internally as opposed to just around the edges.

Thanks for the input. I got the rearend assembled a couple months back ( still waiting on painter) I was cleaning up a little in my shop and found a box with seal in it with receipt. I had purchased two. Must have put one in and forgot to put in the second one.

-
Back