Green or Newer Coolant Type for Rebuild

-

YO7_A66

Reaction score
I am thinking ahead of what type of coolant to run once I get my 340/420 back in the car this Spring. The engine was completely cleaned, and my radiator and intake were cleaned out too and sitting dry. I will be using new radiator hoses, and then the only other pieces are the heater core/hoses that may have some green antifreeze still inside.

Is there a good reason to blow out the heater core lines and try and run a different style of radiator coolant besides the green, or keep the 50/50 green?
This is a streetcar in the Midwest.

Thanks

IF you are using no copper or soldered compomnents (heater and radiator mostly)
AND
set up an overflow and recovery system that keeps the air out,
an OAT or H-OAT could last longer before it needs to be changed out.

Otherwise stick with a conventional IAT antifreeze.

Last edited:
We use Asian coolant in some of the Cosworth motors, iron blocks, aluminum heads and aluminum / brass radiators. No problems. I run it it my 340 Duster with aluminum radiator and heads, with no issues

Don't go by colors. Green colored coolant might not be the same between manufacturers. There organic and non organic types.
Are you using any aluminum components in the cooling system, like aluminum radiator or cylinder heads ?

Antifreeze - Ethylene Glycol vs. Propylene Glycol
https://www.autozone.com/diy/antifreeze-coolant/antifreeze-buying-guide
I am using aluminum heads and water pump. The heater core and the radiator are the stock type replacements.
Thank you everyone.

I am using aluminum heads and water pump. The heater core and the radiator are the stock type replacements.
Thank you everyone.

why not use the kind that will mix with any kind ? buy it anywhere ...

why not use the kind that will mix with any kind ? buy it anywhere ...
Because it suffers from the same deficiency of all organic inhibitors. They take time to buildup and become effective, and do not work well on systems that are 'open' to the atmosphere. Radiators and cores have become expensive.
1710860388436.png

Because it suffers from the same deficiency of all organic inhibitors. They take time to buildup and become effective, and do not work well on systems that are 'open' to the atmosphere. Radiators and cores have become expensive.
View attachment 1716223741

I never had an "open to the atmosphere" radiator /water system ........
And have never made it a practice to change out coolant periodically ------for 77 yrs !

I tried the orange, it leaked out of the head gaskets, orange bad, not referring to Trump! Went back to real green, ethylene glycol, back to normal.

-
Back