Greetings from Southern California

-

BGDart

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a '71 Dart Swinger I inherited from my Grandma and I want to get it running for my Mom to drive. I have vivid memories of sliding around the front seat of this car as a kid. It has some major issues but I'm hoping to find friendly and knowledgeable people to help sort out the issues. I'm no stranger to working on cars but this Dart is fighting me for the moment and I'll be sure to post separate threads in the mechanical section about it soon enough. In the meantime, here's a couple pictures of it. Thanks all!

hi and welcome we will be glad to help you . I wish I could winter in so cal im sick of winter already and it just started . your car looks solid ....nice

Welcome from Pa. - Lots of good info here. -- Nice car.

welcome to the fray! tell us whats going on with it! tons of great knowledge and helpful folks here!

Welcome from Colorado:finga: Looks like a great project!

Dave,

Thanks all for the welcome. The following link has a more extensive gallery of the car. The pics are over a year old but the car is unchanged. I believe the car has been repainted twice in its life so I wouldn't be able to say what the actual paint code/color is. I do know that I love that color as well.

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/psychrome86/library/dart

Originally, the car was bought new in New York by my Great Aunt. My Grandmother inherited it in the 80's and drove it all the way out to San Francisco. I inherited it in 2013. Several glaring issues became apparent after I got it running and dug into the car. The most major issue is the roof is rusted through thanks to a tattered vinyl top and the car sitting outside for years. Amazingly, the quarter panels are not rotted out and seem to be pretty solid. There is surface rust all over the bottom of the car but nothing looks too far gone. I trailered the car down here to Southern California where it's been sitting and waiting for the next step which was find a roof. I almost ended up selling the car at one point because it stopped working and I was giving up on finding a good affordable roof. I finally managed to get a hold of a solid roof a few months back to put on the car. I've been saving money for a body shop to do the work and trying to get it running in the meantime but it is giving me one hell of a time. The car has 99,916 original miles with the original engine and most likely original tranny. I'm hoping we can give it a chance to reach another 99,999. Thanks again all!

It's fixable ,and a wonderful family hand down.. Looking forward ,towards your mechanical questions, in the forums... And,Welcome...

Nice inheritance,it looks like a pretty clean survivor except for the roof issue.It's definitely worth saving and being kept as part of the family.

-
Back