Grille repair what should I use?

-

varmintjcl

Reaction score
I need to repair a missing piece..
20140803_104834.jpeg

20140803_104844.jpeg

Jim, you may be able to fab some plastic pieces or find someone that has a broken grille for cheap that you can cut some pieces out of for the repair. Short of that, I'm not much more help than that unfortunately. Wish I had some parts for it. I would giv'em to ya.

I am just a novice, but I recently bought "Platifix" online. I do not have any missing tabs/fins on my 73 Duster grille, but it has worked great on cracks. The package comes with a small bar that can be molded to make missing tabs etc. I since went back online on bought 3 more bars seperately just in case. If you do buy the kit, buy extra applicator needles. If they plug up, your screwed which mine did.

I have several grilles with cracks so I hope to get better at the repairs.

Howard, have you tried to "Mold" a tab with the Plastifix? I was wondering how much it would take to make a couple tabs. I have never used this stuff, but I have heard different opinions on it.

On our '68 Charger I used this stuff called Q-Bond. We had good results. It's a 2 part adhesive. One is a plastic powder and the other is like super glue.

View attachment QBL.jpg

I have not made any tabs yet, but I have partially broken holes that screw into the hood latch for the Duster which is what I will focus on.

If you are speaking of the 2 upper tabs that crack/ break which mount to the rad. support; I might try it with the bars. After all, they are not making these grilles and if they do, will they ask 600 plus?

Thanks for the input I don't have any of the missing pieces but this at least gives me somewhere to start looking.

make a paste out of acetone and bits or shavings of ABS plastic to bond your repair pieces
works fine and is about 80% as strong as original

-
Back