Grinding in Tight Places

-

ChrisRomello

Reaction score
Im just looking for a few tips on how to grind welds in tight places. I’ve thought about using porting bits or sanding drums. What have you used that worked for you? Here’s an example of what I’m working with:
D7A77297-ADE3-4F84-AE77-725F1A5B63C3.jpeg

you know, posting a thread with a title like this...you are just asking for @Ben Drinkin to drop by here and give his opinion on grinding in tight places

Man I'll be watching this. We're replacing, welding and grinding in the trunk gutters. Wish I could help but I'm at a loss also.

Try using mold shaping tools. They come in all shapes and sizes. Industrial supply houses carry these bits. They can be used with a garden variety drill too.

Die grinders will work in some cases too.

Try using mold shaping tools. They come in all shapes and sizes. Industrial supply houses carry these bits. They can be used with a garden variety drill too.

Die grinders will work in some cases too.
Oh yeah there you go! I got a Dremel and think I have some stones. Like you're porting cylinder heads. Duh.

Flap wheels and air Dremel or electric Dremel. Using the wand is the way to get in tight spots.
Rotary files/burrs are good for mass metal removal.

If radial space permits, I've used the edge of a cutoff wheel in a right angle grinder.

An oscillating saw (multi-tool) works great with a carbide grout removal blade. Triangular and half circle ones are available, and most chucks allow you to orient the blade to different positions.

Grindin in tight places is fun with the right partner.

Use a 4" grinder and a good pair of safety glasses for starters. then sand blast the area. followed with a thin coat of mar-glass.from that point start shaping the area to match the original shape using 80 grit. don"t be too fussy with the 80 grit leave it a touch high, double check the shape, skim coat with a plastic filler.... life is good.
As far as grinding where you can't get the 4" grinder, a carbide dremel tool bit will work for welds extras that can't be reached with the 4".

I use carbide burrs in my die grinders. Also have a 3” air cutoff tool. Whats nice is its reversible, so sparks are not always in my face.

-
Back