grinding

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Okay I got some information on the grinding. It sounds like it is coming from the engine bay. I thought it might be the exhaust but it is inconsistent.

Is there a clutch plate that could be grinding?

if you think it is engine related pop the belts off to eliminate all the acc.

when you say grinding do you mean like metal to metal on brake pads?

can you make it change tone/rythem? does it do it between mph or only stopped? engine rpm related?

It honestly sounds like metal on concrete but it only happens occasoonaly when I take off from a dead stop. It gets louder when I accelerate but then goes away quickly. I thought it might have been the emergency cable on the drive shaft but its not close to scrubbing.

If you eliminate the engine, trans. starter gear, accesories, pulleys and what not, maybe check for something rattling around in the drum brakes.

Sounds like what mine used to do first thing in the morning....... You'd go to take off, and get a grinding sound, or when it would shift from first to second, it would grind a little...... Rebuilt the trans, noise is gone and it shifts better now, trans was just completely worn out!!!! I babied it for a while til it finally just quit...... Something to think about anyway..... And I have the same set-up as you (/6, 904 auto)......

good question. Are you talking about the dust cover best the trans pan or somewhere else?

The thin metal plate covering the bottom of the bell housing. If they get bent, the torque converter bolts can hit it and make all kinds of racket. If you find the bolts are hitting it, check the end play on the crank also. You may have a worn thrust bearing.

I will definitely check that. Sorry I have not been responding the wife and I are in pigeon forge tn for shades of the past car show.

Just an update the cover is not dented.

I had to drop the tank tonight to change the filler neck gasket and I think I found it. I believe the exhaust may be knocking on the leaf spring. I'm not sure why I hear in the front but the sound was about right.

-
Back