Ground for gauges

-

harrytoes

Reaction score
So my gauges still aren't functioning. I believe it has something to do with the ground for all of them. I was told this is grounded through the dash attachment screws. I also seem to be missing the top metal plate that goes on the dash as well. Thinking this might be the issue. Seems all the attachment points are through plastic. Can I make another ground if need be?

20190729_114837.jpg

20190729_114858.jpg

yes, just find a good ground location on the cluster and run a wire to a good body ground

I'm confused. Is the grey part the pc board screws onto not metal?

20190729_114858-jpg.jpg

All of the marked screws are grounding points for the lamps

20190729_114858.jpg

not sure what cluster this is, but it looks plastic. check for continuity, but i'm pretty sure these would be examples of common ground points
20190729_114858-jpg.jpg

not sure what cluster this is, but it looks plastic. check for continuity, but i'm pretty sure these would be examples of common ground points
View attachment 1715370792
It's from a 69 fastback. Rally dash. So I took in to have it tested. Mechanic says all the gauges are fried. There is an external voltage limiter that was soldered on?? He says this shouldn't be there?? Mentioned that voltage regulator is part of the fuel gauge? Any idea where to buy replacement gauges? I saw year one has them.

20190730_145742.jpg

bummer. there's people here who can do a good job of walking you through confirming that if you want. i'd need to if it was me
good luck

It's from a 69 fastback. Rally dash. So I took in to have it tested. Mechanic says all the gauges are fried. There is an external voltage limiter that was soldered on?? He says this shouldn't be there?? Mentioned that voltage regulator is part of the fuel gauge? Any idea where to buy replacement gauges? I saw year one has them.

View attachment 1715371278

Did he explain to you what he did and how he tested them? Maybe HE fried them, maybe there's nothing wrong with them, and maybe a few other things. If you would have asked right here there's several of us that could walk you through that

View attachment 1715371278
Smart people on here can show you how to test this stuff. Worst thing you can do is take it to "a mechanic"

You will need the metal plate for the brim of your bezel. It attaches to the plastic bezel as heat shield/reinforcement only. It has no bearing on chassis ground path.
For bench testing you can alligator clip a ground wire anywhere on the pot metal housing. In the car... The best place to add a ground wire is at the bottom of the center pod. These are larger screws. Other screws are barely enough to hold the circuit board and we can over tighten to strip the threads in the pot metal. a ring terminal and toothed washer at one of those screws is a bad plan. So...About 4 inches of wire with a ring terminal and toothed washer under that screw at bottom of center pod. Male spade terminal other end. Another longer length of wire with female spade terminal attached provides disconnect, plug unplug like anything else ( less the amp gauge ). Route the other end of this wire to behind the left kick panel. Another ring terminal, toothed washer and a screw there.... Done. Pretty much the same way your heater case is grounded behind the right kick panel. everyone has their own way of doing things. some attach the ground wire to column support. Lowering the column detaches the ground just like pulling the panel out does.
Your oil and temp are common 2 post thermal range indicators. Ohms meter should so 20 ohms post to post. A 3 volt battery attached across should move the needle to about 1/2 the range.
Your 3 post fuel gauge is quite different. Ohms meter would have shown 20 ohms, 50 ohms, and 70 ohms from post to post but, Since someone has added the outboard limiter, I'll assume they followed the info found online, opened the gauge and bent the OEM/inboard limiters contact beam. If the insulation on that resistor wire is shorted to the beam and they didn't isolate the slither of metal on the back of the fuel gauge that grounds it to the housing, a short circuit may exist. (5 volts out of regulator follows that path as if it was another gauge).
If you shipped your circuit board, outboard regulator, and all 4 gauges to me, I could correct all of it and convert the amp gauge to volt gauge too. Ground for volt gauge incorporated to chassis ground wire described above. 12 volts on blue with white tracer would go to outboard regulator and volt gauge via wire leads. 12 volts would no longer enter the fuel gauge. Again, different ways of doing things. I could send that heat shield piece with its attaching hardware too. Your total cost depends on the condition of your gauges.
With a little luck you may find the oil and temp gauges good. Do they need screens cleaned and needles painted? What about the speedometer? That's why so many rally panel owners opted to just ship their entire inst' panel to me. So... do some testing if you want. Pm me if I can help.

You will need the metal plate for the brim of your bezel. It attaches to the plastic bezel as heat shield/reinforcement only. It has no bearing on chassis ground path.
For bench testing you can alligator clip a ground wire anywhere on the pot metal housing. In the car... The best place to add a ground wire is at the bottom of the center pod. These are larger screws. Other screws are barely enough to hold the circuit board and we can over tighten to strip the threads in the pot metal. a ring terminal and toothed washer at one of those screws is a bad plan. So...About 4 inches of wire with a ring terminal and toothed washer under that screw at bottom of center pod. Male spade terminal other end. Another longer length of wire with female spade terminal attached provides disconnect, plug unplug like anything else ( less the amp gauge ). Route the other end of this wire to behind the left kick panel. Another ring terminal, toothed washer and a screw there.... Done. Pretty much the same way your heater case is grounded behind the right kick panel. everyone has their own way of doing things. some attach the ground wire to column support. Lowering the column detaches the ground just like pulling the panel out does.
Your oil and temp are common 2 post thermal range indicators. Ohms meter should so 20 ohms post to post. A 3 volt battery attached across should move the needle to about 1/2 the range.
Your 3 post fuel gauge is quite different. Ohms meter would have shown 20 ohms, 50 ohms, and 70 ohms from post to post but, Since someone has added the outboard limiter, I'll assume they followed the info found online, opened the gauge and bent the OEM/inboard limiters contact beam. If the insulation on that resistor wire is shorted to the beam and they didn't isolate the slither of metal on the back of the fuel gauge that grounds it to the housing, a short circuit may exist. (5 volts out of regulator follows that path as if it was another gauge).
If you shipped your circuit board, outboard regulator, and all 4 gauges to me, I could correct all of it and convert the amp gauge to volt gauge too. Ground for volt gauge incorporated to chassis ground wire described above. 12 volts on blue with white tracer would go to outboard regulator and volt gauge via wire leads. 12 volts would no longer enter the fuel gauge. Again, different ways of doing things. I could send that heat shield piece with its attaching hardware too. Your total cost depends on the condition of your gauges.
With a little luck you may find the oil and temp gauges good. Do they need screens cleaned and needles painted? What about the speedometer? That's why so many rally panel owners opted to just ship their entire inst' panel to me. So... do some testing if you want. Pm me if I can help.

Thanks for the help with the gauges on my 68 fastback. So I tested the ohms on both the temp and oil. They both seem around 20. I took 2 AA batteries to make 3 volts and was able to move them both about half way.

The gas gauge. Looks like my dad's work. You can see the lip is all banged up. He wasn't the most delicate hand. So I only get an ohms reading between the common (A) and (S). This also got half a tank with 3 volts between them.

Any suggestions?

20190731_125718.jpg

20190731_125649.jpg

20190731_125840.jpg

You need to bench test with full voltage. Search the site as there are many posts!

My suggestion is upgrade to like looking and similar gear. I have had very good results! If you are going 100% concours then dig deeper.

Thanks for the help with the gauges on my 68 fastback. So I tested the ohms on both the temp and oil. They both seem around 20. I took 2 AA batteries to make 3 volts and was able to move them both about half way.

The gas gauge. Looks like my dad's work. You can see the lip is all banged up. He wasn't the most delicate hand. So I only get an ohms reading between the common (A) and (S). This also got half a tank with 3 volts between them.

Any suggestions?
You're passing tests, looking pretty good. The scaring at rim of can says someone has been inside the gauge. The slither of metal for ground is gone (that board is now a little loose under the folded tangs) which is not an issue. Simpler to just cover the slither of metal with electric tape but removed works too.
So now put it all back together, get a 12 volt power source and 3 jumper wires. Ground from battery neg' to anywhere on pot metal housing. Batt' positive to contact pin at 9 o'clock position ( where the blue with white tracer puts 12 volts at switch on ). Check to find you do have something like 5 volts out of the regulator.
3rd jumper wire will briefly supply ground to each contact pin that is routed to gauge posts marked 'S'. Fuel gauge is pin at 12 o'clock position. Other 2 are at about 7 o'clock and 4 o'clock.
This zero resistance to ground test will cause full range swing of needle. Prolonged test can overheat the gauges. I repeat this test a few times looking for somewhat smooth needle movement going up at power on and back to home at power off. They never were very fluid like in movement but we don't want to discover a sticking/hanging needle after its all back in the car.
I'm starting to think your only issue was lack of chassis ground. I normally put a dedicated ground wire at the bottom of center pod but... you could route yours to the screw where your regulator is mounted instead. Ensures regulator ground. That might be better since you do have the thicker plastic blank/filler in center pod. Tach, clock, anything else placed in that pod would be thinner and metal. Good luck with it.

What I have done to make a good gage housing to body ground, was tap out the grounding point for one of the gage lights with a 10/32" tap, then I threaded in a long stainless steel screw with red loctite and ohm checked it to make sure it got full continuity from the stud to the housing. Then I used my high speed cutoff wheel and cut the head off, and dressed the threads. Basically made a ground point stud. I used a washer and a nut to secure and ground the board, then used a ring terminal with a wire, and another nut to secure my second gage to ground wire. See pix.

The threaded stud on the far left is for housing to body ground. The threaded stud with the 2 black wires attached is for my solid state IVR ground, and a ground for my volt gage. The volt gage ground wire I eventually removed, and just grounded the gage directly to the gage housing eliminating that 1 extra wire.

Screenshot_20190801-085507_Gallery.jpg

-
Back