ground straps

-

R3dplanet

Reaction score
Can someone post photos of their ground straps? I have only a single ground from the battery negative terminal to the bolt on the driver's side head. This is all a fresh install and I have no reference for the others.

Photos would be super helpful especially if they were for an early A-body. My car is a '65 Barracuda.

Thanks!

You need one from the engine block to the frame. Summit racing has some nice looking mesh ground straps.

Yes, a good engine to body/frame ground is essential. I had a 65 barracuda and the strap was broken, car ran like a dog. I used one from an aircraft supply store (surplus stuff) and that helped a lot!

Okay. Good to know. But where do I make the connection from the frame to the block? Or the frame to the body?

I just now hooked up a 10 gauge wire from a transmission bolt to the blower motor mount stud.

I put mine from the rear valve cover bolt to the same blower motor. That should do it!

Pulling the motor now in my '64 Dart. There is a ground, with red paint still on it, so I guess it's original, connected from the last intake bolt on the right side, to a self tapping bolt on the firewall.

That's it! So to be correct, i need to put mine to that screw. i wondered what it was for. When i painted, i painted it over. Cool!

I changed mine from this:

67 048f.jpg

To this:

67 049f.jpg

Cleaned off the paint below the nut.

67 048f.jpg

67 049f.jpg

Okay, so just to be clear we have:

(1) ground cable from battery negative post to driver's head
(2) ground strap or cable from the transmission (and/or?) last intake bolt to the body via an expanding bolt.

Splendid. What about the frame? Are there any direct frame connections?
Also, how about the alternator? Mine is a Denso unit, made of aluminum, bolted to the brackets and engine but only through powder coated parts. Is it wise to find a ground point on the alternator and ground it to the block or body?

From advice on here, I ran a wire from the alternator ground point, not the case the actual male plug on the back, to the back of the voltage regulator, then to the neg on the battery.

-
Back