Grounding VR and ECU

-
I never rely on grounding thru a rusty sheet-metal screw. I run a dedicated ground wire to the case of the Vreg, HEI module, and such.

The bolt head does the grounding so put the washer there.

And please don’t sand off the paint behind these boxes. The auto factories never did it and they built millions of cars that made it through the warranty period, so we don’t need to do it either. It just makes rust trails, and that never helps grounding.

Now I’m ready for all the dummies to hit the red X, and when you do tell us why.

Oh they'll never do that...:lol:

Couldn't find a decent picture but if you use a punch in your firewall, etc. you crate more surface area to bite into the sheet metal. Yes you will have to step up your screw size. This assumes you don't mind altering your firewall. An additional ground wire and dielectric grease are also good practice.

upload_2021-11-29_16-48-8.png

Your best friend for ensuring a good ground. We use them on aircraft.
s-l1600.jpg

The above post is a classic example of things mounted in the wrong place. They are where the water flows over the body panels and run under the hood. the factory never mounted electrical boxes here.

Nothing should be above the red line. Look at where the factory mounted things. It is all under the lip on the cowl so water will not drip on the bolted mounting points which are grounds, or on the rubber grommets where cables pass through. Prevents the bolts from rusting and the grommets from potential leaking.

THINK before mounting or drilling

And what is the service interval to inspect for rust and replace this grease behind electrical components? The factory never mounted things this way for a reason.

View attachment 1715819022
Very clean work.

-
Back