GTS engine ID

-

67gts383

Reaction score
I'm trying to determine if the engine in my 67 GTS is the one that came with the car. The top pad on the block says C383 and under that all I see is a 10 and a 6. I wonder if there is another number back under the head so I might determine the month or is there another number on the block somewhere? The car was made in May.

The C beside the 383 stands for 1967 build. As far as determining whether this 383 was the same that came originally with the car in 67, the VIN number would have to be stamped on the block somewhere and I've never heard of Mopar doing that with BB's.

Terry

C is the right letter to denote a 1967 built 383. 10 and 6 is October 6th. It should be followed by a number that is the sequence number for the engine that day.

The 10 and the 6 are spaced pretty far apart. There are no other numbers on the pad besides the C383. I wonder if the 10 is the day of the month and the 6 is the sequence and the month is stamped under the head, that is, if the machined pad is the same height as the block to head surface. I wouldn't know without pulling the head.

The 10 and the 6 are spaced pretty far apart. There are no other numbers on the pad besides the C383. I wonder if the 10 is the day of the month and the 6 is the sequence and the month is stamped under the head, that is, if the machined pad is the same height as the block to head surface. I wouldn't know without pulling the head.

Quite often there are no other letters or numbers on the machined pad below the distributor other than a letter for the year and either 383 or 400. Every once and a while there will be other symbols and numbers and letters but not usually. If the 10 is the first number on the side of the block then it's the 10th month and the 6th day.

Quite often there are no other letters or numbers on the machined pad below the distributor other than a letter for the year and either 383 or 400. Every once and a while there will be other symbols and numbers and letters but not usually. If the 10 is the first number on the side of the block then it's the 10th month and the 6th day.

what he said , its an oct 6 1966 assembly date for the engine , the sequence will be part of a number styamped on the underside of the block on the oil pan rail back under one of the bellhousing ears.

What is the scheduled production date of the car on the fendertag ? does the block have one of the motor mount ears on the drivers side of the block whittled off , the rear single one ?

For pre-'69 cars, the sequence, build number, or whatever may be stamped on the right pan rail or around the bellhousing area. This would be the same number that is at the end of the fender tag. This number would be compared to the broadcast sheet which would have that same number, along with the VIN.

For pre-'69 cars, the sequence, build number, or whatever may be stamped on the right pan rail or around the bellhousing area. This would be the same number that is at the end of the fender tag. This number would be compared to the broadcast sheet which would have that same number, along with the VIN.
\

That would be 68 only and it would be on the bellhousing flange near the hole where the oil idiot light sender is mounted , 67 and earlier engines you can only use the assembly date as a GUESS if it's the original or not .

Your block casting date will be on the side of the block.....

http://www.yearone.com/updatedsinglepages/Id_info/mopar/mopar casting numbers/images/tech1.jpg

You need the build date of the car as well. In 1967, if the block casting date is within 3 months before the build date of the car, that is considered a "numbers-matching" block. '67-back, thats the only way to tell...its mostly a guess. '68-up they started the VIN/S.O. number stampings on the blocks/trans/rear end housing.

He needs to go by the engine assembly date , that 3 month window is BS started by the corvette weenies when they were using restamped blocks . From what I have seen in that era it's typical to see engine assembly dates within DAYS of the cars SPD , and the casting date within weeks of the engine assembly date . To see a 67 with a block that's 3 months early I MIGHT buy , but only if it had an assembly date that was a couple months LATER than the casting date .

You may not have noticed, but I said "within 3 months", which means it could be between 5 minutes and 3 months prior to the car's build date.

You may not have noticed, but I said "within 3 months", which means it could be between 5 minutes and 3 months prior to the car's build date.

Yes I saw that ...

nevermind , you are correct , sorry for questioning you :munky2:

The critical info is stamped on the ear of the block, just below the starter, it is basically the same machine surface as the pan rail.
It gives the plant, 10,000 day date and line assembly codes.

A true 383 in an 'A' body also has the rear ear boss machined off to aid clearing the steering box.

Mark.

You need the build date of the car as well. In 1967, if the block casting date is within 3 months before the build date of the car, that is considered a "numbers-matching" block.

Oh hell, then my buddy's '72 'cuda 340 has a "fake original" block. :(
The car was actually built in March of 1972, but the #s matching block was cast in February of 1971.

I've actually seen a lot of this on '72 340 cars and the answer is because '71 was such a low production year, the over stock had to go somewhere.

Mark.

The critical info is stamped on the ear of the block, just below the starter, it is basically the same machine surface as the pan rail.
It gives the plant, 10,000 day date and line assembly codes.

I didnt think they did the block stampings , other than the "C383" variety, and such 'til '68. I stand corrected.

Oh hell, then my buddy's '72 'cuda 340 has a "fake original" block.
The car was actually built in March of 1972, but the #s matching block was cast in February of 1971

Yes, but by '72, they were stamping Vins and such, so its easier to determine a "numbers matching" block. I believe we were talking pre'68 here, when they werent stamping VIN's.

-
Back