GTS or GSS

-
If your friend has a 68 dart. With the fifth digit M in the vin tag. I am interested in buying it. Do not care about the fender tag. Don’t even care if there’s one . Just needs vin and title. The body can be in any condition. Engine and transmission can be gone. I have bought a few m-codes that guys did not know what they had.

Read post #18. That explains it a bit further. There were 50 of the cars, not 6. They way I am reading that article, The 50 cars were chosen off the assembly line by Chrysler, then eventually ended up at Grand Spalding, after going through Hurst. That's how I am reading it. Says only 12 of the 50 exist today and that sounds about right. I remember reading about these cars in Hot Rod Magazine when I was a kid.
Rusty, they actually had magazines in print when you were a kid? LOL

My 69 M-code had 383 manifolds on it when i bought it. A little close to the steering column for my liking, but new engine mounts might help I guess.
Actual '69 M code manifolds are longer in the lower "swoop" area, to compensate for higher deck 440. New motor mounts might make the situation worse.

There is a great discussion on a wanted thread and to be fair tho the OP the conversation needs moved here. Have at it guys.

My bad. It got so good, I actually forgot it was a wanted thread. Sorry bout that.

Last edited:
Actual '69 M code manifolds are longer in the lower "swoop" area, to compensate for higher deck 440. New motor mounts might make the situation worse.

Ya, I have a correct set on it now. I'd be worried about the engine torquing into the shaft.

I have put 383 manifold on m-code darts. 4 if them . They work fine. Manual steering has more clearance than power steering. All darts had original engine mounts. I am actually putting one of my M-codes darts together now. It is going to have 383 manifolds on it.

I have put 383 manifold on m-code darts. 4 if them . They work fine. Manual steering has more clearance than power steering. All darts had original engine mounts. I am actually putting one of my M-codes darts together now. It is going to have 383 manifolds on it.

Never seen a 440 Dart with P/S, yes they did clear my manual column but the original 440 manifolds just look right, equal spacing around the curved area.

IMG_1136.JPG

red_light_bandit-01.jpg
red_light_bandit-02.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 7.04.15 PM.jpg
$_1.jpg
491536-82ccaa8e8073abf73d356b20d39fdc13.jpg
20171227_221025 MATS JUHLIN dart.jpg
20171227_221041 mats juhlin dart.jpg
bagshaw-with-red-light-bandit.jpg
fullsizeoutput_142a.jpg
Hemi - Dart - Landy.jpg
these are the fifty hurst hemi 68 darts , i 69 the gss440 dart was limited production from the factory i thought , saw a 69 gss 440 dart for sale a year or so back , nicely done car , was a green dart . go figger , a green dart . all three of my 69 gts's were green .

Thanks Dar, ANOTHER great article from Paul(RIP). No nonsense guy that retold stories from 1st hand experience.
Miss his fact stating no bs stories.
That article perpetuates the myth that Mr Norm "invented" the 383 A body...see the real story here...The First 1967 383 A-Body, 'Barracuda or Mr. Norms's Dart' To summarize, Plymouth was already installing 383's in Barracuda's at the factory in Sept 1966, for the '67 model year, long before Norm installed a 383 in a Dart.

That article perpetuates the myth that Mr Norm "invented" the 383 A body...see the real story here...The First 1967 383 A-Body, 'Barracuda or Mr. Norms's Dart' To summarize, Plymouth was already installing 383's in Barracuda's at the factory in Sept 1966, for the '67 model year, long before Norm installed a 383 in a Dart.

That's right, but he did persuade Chrysler to do it. That much is in black and white.

these are the fifty hurst hemi 68 darts , i 69 the gss440 dart was limited production from the factory i thought , saw a 69 gss 440 dart for sale a year or so back , nicely done car , was a green dart . go figger , a green dart . all three of my 69 gts's were green .

The GSS was 1968 only (until the Demon GSS) and sub-contracted. All 1969 440 Darts were GTS models and factory built. Both carried the "M" code for the VIN. The 1968 SS hemi Darts also carried the "M" code for the VIN, but had the "LO" designation for car and price class. The GSS had the "LS" designation.

Jim you are right on the information on the 68 GSS and 69 GTS m- codes. Thanks

Quote from the article:
"Norm Kraus’s Grand-Spaulding Dodge of Chicago was already the place to buy a Dodge when owner Norm Kraus cut a deal with Chrysler to build a run of 1967 Darts equipped with the 383 big-block, beating Plymouth to the market as they had planned to use it exclusively in the Barracuda."

We already know this is false as Chrysler was installing 383s in Barracudas from the beginning of the model year. The '67 GTS was a mid-late year introduction.

Quote from the article:
"Norm Kraus’s Grand-Spaulding Dodge of Chicago was already the place to buy a Dodge when owner Norm Kraus cut a deal with Chrysler to build a run of 1967 Darts equipped with the 383 big-block, beating Plymouth to the market as they had planned to use it exclusively in the Barracuda."

We already know this is false as Chrysler was installing 383s in Barracudas from the beginning of the model year. The '67 GTS was a mid-late year introduction.

It's gotta be true. I found it on the internet. lol

9B9DD22C-3672-4D9B-B8F1-390FF4822473.png

I bought a hemi short block from this guy.
I believe this may be one of those six. He was telling me about it being a BB factory race car and super rare.

I'm not sure about M code. But I always thought in 1968 you could buy a 440 Dart that went to Hurst for Mods and then came with the nose in primer. It also had a disclaimer on the inside of the glove box stating Race only .This I only knew from hearsay back in the day. May have had fender well headers as well? Then in mid 69 Stormin Norman drove his (Originally 383) 440 68 Dart Street version over to show Lee and in Mid 69 the 440 Dart street version was born.

-
Back