guage cluster

-

moparboy340

Reaction score
i gotta quick question. does anyone know of a good trick for removing the guage cluster in an a-body 67-74. or just easy way to get to all the instrument lights from the back side. 4-speed so pedals galore in the way. pluss the column, just wondering if anyone knew of anytricks... without bein a pro contortionast, lol.

Aint no shortcuts but aint so hard either. Once the steering colum cover and colum itself is lowered most everything else can be done sitting in the drivers seat and nealing by the door.

As said, remove the steering column trim and lower the column (you must loosen the bolts at the floor plate, too.) The cluster has a few screws around the outer edge that have to be removed. Tip it forward so you gain access to the back. Disconnect the gauge harness - round plastic connector that looks like a cylinder from a revolver (pistol). Disconnect the black and red wires from the ammeter (left top edge). CAREFULLY release the tab on the plastic cable connector on the back of the speedometer - don't break the old fragile plastic.
Then just work it out from behind the steering wheel.

What else am I forgetting, guys? I haven't been behind a cluster in a while.

Jerry

Well, yes, but I kind of thought disconnecting battery first should go without saying. I know, I know... keep in mind that someone reading the post might be a novice and would not know the basics.
icon12.gif

Jerry

-
Back