Guess my 273 hp

-

ProStocker273

MoPar N Jeep
Reaction score
I know its no monster mill but its what I got untill funds allow to build my 360. Its a factory bore 273 9:1com 155psi in all cylinders. Cleaned up ports on 68 318 heads, 1.88 intake stock 1.5 exahust. .039 head gaskets. Cam is a comp cam .494 lift (cant remeber rest of info) Mopar oarnge box aluminum flywheel. Tr5 edelbrock with dual 450cfm holleys. I'm running stock exhaust manifolds to dual 3" pipes that dump under rear seat. I get asked a lot what Hp its makeing. Its fun to drive with 4spd. Ill be adding some headers soon but will be 1 7/8 so they'll work with my 360stroker when built. So what do you estimate Hp/tq on this little beast. Id like to build the top end a little better it runs out of steam out 5400rpm. I need to upgrade my valve springs and put my mechanical rockers on. This motor should Rev much higher. This motor dont sound like a 273.

the manfolds are prob really hurting it . bout 350 or so....

I know manifolds are. I'm doing a weld your own header kit in next couple months. My guess is just over 300. I have had a few different. 273/318s combis over the years and this one runs the strongest.

Here is photo for all you who like pictures. I would like to really build this combo up after my 360 go's in. I plan to take my original motor roller cam it, custom pistons, and do some more Work to the heads. After the rest of the Car is setup to run 10s with the 360, i want to toss the old 273 in see what it can run.

Attachments

• 2012-08-12 17.58.09.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,198
I think it may be a little over-carbed, especially with those exhaust manifolds.....and with that mystery cam and small heads, I'll say approx. 305 or so....?

295 HP 350 TQ it is being killed by the manifolds with that cam and carbs , suppose better heads would help as well . Looks amazing with that intake and carbs .

Cam specs are 235 in/249ex @ .05 . Advertised duration says 287in/307ex. Lift .497in/.483ex with lob separation At 107. cam rpm range is 2200-6100.

Thumper can,decent choice. What gears,out back? BTW,LOVE IT!

All a guess.,man . If the gearings right,a possibility.(With headers.).

on my dyno program 300hp with manifolds and 350hp with headers

how does it run with a tunnel ram i was thinking of putting one on my 273?

Around 320 hp? I'd love to hear it idle. I just put a solid Comp Cams Magnum 282S - 282/282 Lift 495/495 in my 273 commando. Here it is idling: [ame]http://youtu.be/CddNRrrOFWs[/ame]

It's very streetable.

275 hp. The manifolds really choke it and the dual quads are way too much. 1hp/cu.in. needs everything right.

Runs great. Pulls strong from 1800rpm up. I have 2.97 rear gears which kill the fun factor abit. The Carbs run great no secondary squirters. With 4spd aluminum flywheel and my car weighting in @ 2800lbs it moves pretty good. Custom headers are at the top of my list. Starting to think the exhaust manifolds are why the motor runs out of esteem not the heads. Tunnel rams get a bad Rep for sure. Carb/cam selection has allot to do with it. These carbs aren't good for tuneing a high Hp motor but they run great on a small cube mild build. I choose the cam because of a build on a 260 ford with a t-ram that made 350hp. Ill see if i can get a video up.

Thanks! Looking forward to that video. Have you seen this one? [ame]http://youtu.be/x4QKHtP63Bs[/ame]

I just watched that one this morning. I think headers and some attention to my valve train are needed to see some higher rpm like that. I'm gonna order what I need to build some headers soon then move onto valvetrain and see what this little motor can do.

I seen the same ford 260 build, thats temping me to go tunnel ram :)

How do you lime the aluminum flywheel? Ever run it with the stock steel one, was there a big difference? I have an aluminum one for my 66 and was thinking abou trying it out someday :glasses7:

BTW, your engine looks awesome, love the valve covers, I have a couple sets of those and they are pretty hard to find!!

Flywheel made a noticiable difference in rev quickness. I had my Steel one on for many years and scored this aluminum one for $110. I got valve covers for the same. I love the prostock look/era. Do you have any info on how old they are? I would like another set if you ever want to part with a pair. I have a weiand t-ram sitting on the bench i may try someday. Edelbrock is probably best bet to keep some low end power.

-
Back