Guess what this is for, weird tool

-
Fred, I totally know what these are....:thumbsup:

Spoons for paintless dent removal.

@trebling Those are hole transfer punches. you line up a drilled panel to a non drilled panel and put these in your hole and then tap them, makes a center for your drill on the non drilled panel so the hole will line up.

You want to see some funky tools, look at the specialty tools for a Mitsubishi motor. all kinds of strange stops, wrenches, clamps, jigs...so many that it seems they are terrible engineers or there are so many seperately designed modular parts that need to fit together that they had to invent ways to fasten them together.

I had something like this rolling around in the bottom of a tool box for ever, never used it, didnt really know what it was for, turned out to be proprietary for my very first car 36 years ago
View attachment 1715455180
Pishta is CORRECT!!!!!!!!!! You win the major award:

Not sure if you would call this an "automotive" tool but I've used them hundreds of times building cars, fixing engines and working on the car body. I know that my friends who have never seen them are amazed when I whoop them out and show how they help in a difficult situation:

View attachment 1715455153
Transfer punches..i use them a lot.

Yes and no.....they are actually "transfer punches". When you have a hole in a bracket or piece of metal (or wood) and you need to accurately locate the hole in the metal that the bracket will be installed onto you use these punches to transfer the hole from the bracket to the other piece of metal. So you hold the piece that has the hole against another piece of metal then you use the correct size transfer punch to punch a mark where you will drill the new hole. That's why they come in every size so that they fit snug in the hole and transfer the location accurately. These punches "transfer" the hole location to another piece of metal very accurately. If you've ever tried to hold a heavy piece of metal against another to locate the new hole you can see how they make the job a lot easier. I've used them transferring hole locations on body panels, custom brackets, installing custom heater brackets under the dash and for numerous other things that require a hole that has to be specifically placed with reference to another part. They used to be expensive but now you can get them cheap at HF!!
So I'm right and wrong. LOL

I don't know........if you were working on a car and asked your helper for a center punch what do you think you would get in your hand????? No major award for you...Sorry!!:drama:
Knowing kids these days? Probably a bloody nose. LOL

No reward for post 18 either. Beginning to think this game is rigged. :)
Don't feel too bad, I was also going to write that those were paintless dent repair tools but they looked a little different that what I remember????

Another alignment tool. Where is toolman mike?

20200119_111901.jpg

These are all wheel alignment tools.

View attachment 1715455193
Top one: Cadillac radius arm caster adjusting.
Middle one: Honda Prelude rear steer locking tool. You pin the rear to the car body with it.
Bottom: Late 70's 80's Ford and ? Slotted upper control arm adjustment. The factory provides a hole in the frame for the little arm to hook into and the other part grabs the control arm shaft.

Not sure if you would call this an "automotive" tool but I've used them hundreds of times building cars, fixing engines and working on the car body. I know that my friends who have never seen them are amazed when I whoop them out and show how they help in a difficult situation:

View attachment 1715455153
Transfer punches.

One more alignment tool. I use it mostly for body work these days. It works great for box side dent below the tail light.

20200119_112201.jpg

I wish to hell I knew what this thing does. Its adjustable like a compass by moving the whatsit up and down and has a glass cutter like wheel on the bottom. Then it has the up and down thingy too with inch increments.
20200119_100842-jpg.jpg

Kind of generic but pretty specific to some old Fords. This is my " easy one"

20200119_112101.jpg

Here's one that stumped me a few years ago at Hershey. Early ford tool is the hint.
122432.jpg

Hint Can actually still be used on one of our Mopars today if wanted.

-
Back