Guitar ?'s

-
It's funny, I've gotten out of equipment shopping over the last 10 years and more into playing. I was unaware this brand even existed.

They dont look like bad guitars...maybe someday I'll try one. Where are they made?

They are Asian made, The store has them made just for him. I hear the quality is top notch though.

As far as electrics go, I have found that the best ones for me, are the Ibanez RG series guitars from the mid 80s...I freaking love them.

I do also. I have a red Rg270 (korea) and an Emerald green Japanese made RG570. I love them both but the 270 has a slightly lower action and a blond neck (first year for RG's) and is actually easier to play. The 570 is obviously a better quality guitar and it sounds ALOT better! Is definately my favorite. I also have an LTD (ESP) M100 FM, a Washburn Wi-64 and a cheap Ibanez Gio.

I was in your boat once looking for a guitar. What I do is peruse Craigslist and buy used guitars at a decent prices, set them up and make them play like butter, play them for a few months, and flip them keeping the favorites for myself. All I have, are for sale, but the two RG"s (that should tell you something). Eventually I will sell the other 3 off and get a used schecter in the $400-$700 price range and see if it can dethrone one of the RG's.8)

Once I learned to set them up, some of my musician friends started having me do theirs too, so I get to play their rigs too and see how they feel. As others have said, play the guitar. They all feel different, even my two RG's feel and sound totally unlike each other. Sometime with a decent guitar, factory pickup sound the best anyway. I wired up some Seymour Duncans in my Rg270 just to try them, but ended up going back to the stock pickups. They just sounded better in that particular guitar.

I have never had a Fender or some of the others or had the opportunity to play on one, so I can't help you there. The ESP was cheap though, and it DID surprise me it sounded so good. I think EMG made their pickups for that particular guitar though.

Sorry I rambled, hope I helped.......:-D

Sorry I rambled, hope I helped.......

Nope, no rambling there. All good information that I will take into account. Where/how did you learn to set up your guitars? Any books/websites you would recommend for that?

Just a note about the question on Mex/American Strats.......

I own(ed) and play both, and the Mexican plays exactly the same after I leveled the frets.......No difference........As a matter of fact, I sold my American and only play the Mex now......A Nice Midnite-Wine with White Pearl and stamped chrome.......My own custom shop special......Love it.

Italia makes some killer axes too.......I use an Italia Rimini 12 String, and the thing played perfectly right out of the box.......no adjustments required.......excellent materials and workmanship........I was shocked. Plays as smooth as a Rick.

Look for Charvel model 4's from the mid eighties. They are the original Super Strat. They have awesome necks and are H-S-S configuration. I have two and for fast playing they are the ones I choose. I have a Sg and Lespaul and they are great, But nothing compared to my Model 4's as far as playability and Heavy Rock tone. Look for the Kahler tremolo equiped ones. They are also active electronic equiped and sound awesome. Also Model 2,3 and 5's.

John D. Beckerley
Pro Guitarist 32 years

Nope, no rambling there. All good information that I will take into account. Where/how did you learn to set up your guitars? Any books/websites you would recommend for that?
Here is a good place to start reading:

http://forum.ibanez.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=69978

Then read all the links on it you can find that you think would help too.
I read as much as I could then started asking questions of my musician friends on what they wanted and how it was supposed to feel then I started experimenting with cheap guitars and learning alot through trial and error.
When I knew just enough to be dangerous, I eventually got lucky and another friend who used to do this for a living (custom paint now) needed an engine stand. I traded a used stand and a 20 pack of bud to to let me watch him set up 2 of my guitars and ask all the stupid questions I wanted. After 10 of those buds some were pretty stupid too.:cheers:

I don't know it all, and I can't set up a guitar as well as a pro who takes pride in his work. But I can mess with it for twice as long as he does and do it better than the guy who doesn't care. :-D
Definately worth learning to do yourself because no one will care about the outcome near as much as you will.
Kinda like working on our Mopars......... Good luck!

what 340 dart said, dont be afraid to mess around with your guitar you learn by trial and error just like working with cars, a few simple rules
1: mark all wires before taking any thing apart
2: make one small adjustment at a time
3: tightening the truss rod counter acts the tension the strings put on the neck
4: always check the neck first then adjust the bridge
5: string height is a matter of personal preference,as long as it doesnt buzz set it to what feels good to you (this is one reason no one else can ever set your guitar up as well as you can)
6: intonation, a string MUST be in tune at the 12th fret exactly one octave higher then when played open, or you will never be in tune, this is adjusted at the bridge by moving the string saddles further or closer to the nut, there is usually a small screw at the back for this purpose, (an electric tuner helps here)
remember make small adjustments and take your time once you get the hang of it you will be amazed at how much better you can make even the cheapest guitar play

Italia makes some killer axes too.......I use an Italia Rimini 12 String, and the thing played perfectly right out of the box.......no adjustments required.......excellent materials and workmanship........I was shocked. Plays as smooth as a Rick.

Those are some good looking guitars. How would you compare the neck feel of the Italia to the neck feel of the Mexican Strat (if they are comparable)?

Right now I have it somewhat narrowed down to (definitely subject to change):
1. '72 Tele Reissue
2. Agile 3100
3. Mexican Strat
4. Italia Maranello Classic
5. Cheap Strat or Tele I can find used and put some work into
6. Fernandes Ravelle Elite is still kind of on the list
7. Fixing up the Squier I have is still kind of on the list too. I got it for free, so I wouldn't mind putting a little money in it.

The Italia's are set up from the factory with an excellent action....they've earned a great reputation with some big name artists out there.......

The Italia's play as good out of the box as my Mex-Strat after a set-up.

BUT, be warned that the Italia CASES are NOT good enough for the guitars.....they are contracted for manufacture by the distributor in the US (LaPlaya....one of my old wholesalers) and are not worth the money by any means.....buy a Fender or equivalent for it.....I put my Rimini in a Rick 330 case (it's a wide-body...won't fit in a Strat case).

Speaking of guitars..... Tom, I sent you a PM about my Yamaha 5 string. It's for sale....

*Sorry for the hi-jack**

I haven't owned a bunch of guitars over the 37 years I've been playing because once I find one I like I tend to stick with it. The one I've decided was the keeper over the years is my Ibanez Roadstar II Cherry sunburst. I had a few others before that one but none of them ever felt quite right, including a Les Paul Standard Cherry sunburst (to heavy having it on my shoulder for 5 hours a night), a Gibson 335 (I put the wrong P/U's in it and it sounded to dirty) and a few other lesser known names like Vantage. I don't get my Ibanez out of the case much anymore and it can sit there for up to 3 or 4 months at a time. When I do bring it out 90% of the time it's still in tune. My Ibanez is early 80's vintage that I picked up cheap from a buddy when it was about a year old and it's been the best damned electric guitar I've ever owned. It sounds just like my old Les Paul but weighs about 7 lbs less and still has that cherry sunburst that I seem to be hooked on. I won't even go into how much I love my Vantage acoustic that I bought for 200 bucks new. It plays nicer than any 1000+ guitar but setup is everything. ;)

Only pic I have of it handy right now. It's a great axe to look into but it may not have enough frets on it for your liking. I'm a rythem player/lead singer so I don't need to play way high on the neck. I do play some lead too but just not way up there. ;)
6020_1191783363422_1493523654_526614_4192919_n.jpg

Don't worry about the hi-jack FASTBACK340. As long as it's guitar related, I don't care what is put on here.

Thanks for the thoughts on Italia's pastortom1. This is the one I'm looking at: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/-Maranello-Classic-Electric-Guitar?sku=514395

It's right in my price range and I definitely like the metalflake red. Never heard of a body made out of agathis though? There are only 2 things that I question on the Italia Maranello. The first is the position of the jack. Doesn't seem like it would be real handy right there on the front of the guitar and pointed up. The second thing is could this be fitted with a Floyd Rose somehow or would it require quite a bit of work?

Yet another question for anyone who cares to answer it.

In looking at the Italia Maranello Custom and the Italia Maranello Classic I noticed a few differences.
Classic-----------------Custom
$580-------------------$680
Agathis body-----------Solid maple body with figured maple top
Hard maple neck--------Hard maple set-in neck
Rosewood f-board------Bound rosewood f-board
Wilkinson WVC's--------Wilkinson alnico V's vintage voiced

Anyone care to compare the body woods, difference in necks, difference in rosewood and bound rosewood, and difference in pickups? I've read some bad things about agathis wood as far as sustain and tone go, so I'm thinking I should pay the $100 more for a little better wood.

Warmoth has a good wood tone description chart on their site. Agathis is considered the poor man's mahogany. I have guitars with bodies made out of several woods and the agathis does sound similair to the mahogany, but the guitar with agathis has a 3 piece maple neck in neck through construction. Unfortunately, I believe neck & body wood, fretboard wood & construction, bridge, and pickups are more of an individual choice. I prefer mahogany bodies with maple necks and ebony fretboards - but that is just me. As far as pickups, check out Seymour Duncan's site. They make several different pickups geared to different styles and have good sound samples. I have them in two guitars and they rock. I also have DiMarzio and EMG pickups. Each with their own flavor. I know both Seymour Duncan & DiMarzio have an exchange policy - if the pickups you choose are not to your liking, you can exchange them for another type.

I banez Roadstar II is not a bad guitar at all ...I've played some nice ones...

Lookin for a thinline tele ... reissue is fine enough!!!

Just bought a Vox ccAC-15 !

Yet another question for anyone who cares to answer it.

In looking at the Italia Maranello Custom and the Italia Maranello Classic I noticed a few differences.
Classic-----------------Custom
$580-------------------$680
Agathis body-----------Solid maple body with figured maple top
Hard maple neck--------Hard maple set-in neck
Rosewood f-board------Bound rosewood f-board
Wilkinson WVC's--------Wilkinson alnico V's vintage voiced

Anyone care to compare the body woods, difference in necks, difference in rosewood and bound rosewood, and difference in pickups? I've read some bad things about agathis wood as far as sustain and tone go, so I'm thinking I should pay the $100 more for a little better wood.

Yes, you should pay the extra 100 bucks, UNLESS you prefer a neck that you can remove and/or shim during it's life.......set neck allows nothing but truss adjustment.......and if you snap the head off the neck (like my Gibson SG's used to do) you can't change the neck (pretty rare though with newer axes).... If you're not worried about the additional neck adjustment, then go with the Custom.....it'd be a good choice.

Guitars are such a personal choice it`s hard to say what you might like but I can say this: Save your money and buy the best guitar you can afford. Personally as Strat style guitars go I`m partial to Tom Anderson`s.

What is the advantage of being able to remove the neck to shim it? I guess if it warps over time? I noticed several people mentioning Ibanez's. Haven't tried any of them out yet, but I have a buddy with a couple, so I should be testing some over the weekend. That Italia Maranello Custom is hard to beat in Transparent Blue though. If it feels as good as it looks, I think I'll be alright.

maranellocustom.jpg

Well I think I've made a decision. After reading and watching a ton of good reviews on Agile, i think I'm going to go with the Agile AL-3100, the $500 version that comes with EMG 81/85 pickups in Blue Flame. http://www.rondomusic.com/product1891.html

I'm going to try to play some Les Pauls before I order it though. I'm guessing since the 3100 is modeled after the LP, it will have a similar feel, so if I like the feel of the LP, then I will like the feel of the 3100.

Here's a little table I made up too so I could kind of compare what guitars I was looking at purchasing. The Appetite for Destruction and SG Angus Young are there for comparison only. Sorry if it's a little hard to read.

guitartable2.jpg

I finally made a decision and ordered a guitar today. It's a '72 Telecaster Custom reissue. Black with a rosewood fretboard. http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0137500306 Ordered it from Musician's Friend. They said it'll be 39 days before they get one in stock, then 2-5 days to ship, so it will be a while before I actually get it.

I was going to get the Agile, but I went to the local guitar shop this past weekend and played 5 or 6 Tele's and just couldn't get away from how great they felt. Played a few LP's too, but for some reason they just didn't feel as right as the Tele's, so I went with the '72.

I finally made a decision and ordered a guitar today. It's a '72 Telecaster Custom reissue. Black with a rosewood fretboard. http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0137500306 Ordered it from Musician's Friend. They said it'll be 39 days before they get one in stock, then 2-5 days to ship, so it will be a while before I actually get it.

I was going to get the Agile, but I went to the local guitar shop this past weekend and played 5 or 6 Tele's and just couldn't get away from how great they felt. Played a few LP's too, but for some reason they just didn't feel as right as the Tele's, so I went with the '72.
Congratulations on your purchase!! Lets us know when you get it and please post some pics of your new guitar.

-
Back