Gulf oil spill making me re-think my project...

-

greenhornet

Reaction score
The Gulf oil spill is making me re-think my 66-Valiant project... We all know their going to jack gas prices here shortly.. My first plan was a 383 sleeper everyday driver.. Now a small block might be in the works. I remember when I had a 70-GTX with a 440-super commando, mild cam, 830 holley nascar double pumper on it, I could actually watch the gas needle drop blasting down the interstate at 100+ mph---- I-- I mean 55 mph... I can't afford $5.00 + a gallon gas.... Need some input, 360 or 383??? A slant-6 or 318 isn't an option...

I have a 95- z-26 Beretta with a 3100, it gets decent gas mileage, I just hate a computer controlled car PERIOD... They nickle an dime you to death, get one thing fixed then something else goes out.. I just wanna drive the 66-valiant and my 63-chevy rat-rod pick up.. I'm totally burnt out on the newer crap..

buy a four door valiant or dart with a good 6 for less than 2000k, they run for ever and you can fix stuff unlike the computer cars. then go big with your 383!

I hear you on the computer controlled stuff. They do seem to nickle and dime you to death don't they. I am not that fond of them either.

Chuck

buy a four door valiant or dart with a good 6 for less than 2000k, they run for ever and you can fix stuff unlike the computer cars. then go big with your 383!

because a mild 360 wont get much over 10 with a four barrel even if you baby it..

If it doesnt get less than 8mpg it isnt a muscle car!

Blow-dart you're killing me!! 10 mpg with a 360??? My Valiants pretty light.. So, 360 or 383 I'm not gettin any gas mileage??

The mild 360 in my Dart Sport was getting appx. 12+ city....Had a purple cam (480...?), no A/C, Power Steering, Manifolds with full dual 2.5's, and a Holley 650 single pump.....that mileage included my regular "chirps". Lots of power, and lots of fun without breaking the bank.

well,that is the price you pay for a muscle car I guess.Want performance ,then put the 383 in.Want gas mileage,get a Honda or some other econo box car .:cheers:

Find me a honda I can stick v-8 mopar in and I'll buy it, if I wanted 70 mpg I'd buy a scooter, I'm just looking for DECENT mileage..

Man, it would sure be nice to live someplace you could drive a muscle car enough to worry about gas mileage!

I've put about 10 gallons through mine in 2 years.

LOL

I'd think a 360 could do so-so if you keep the cam and gearing under control (overdrive if possible), use a vacuum secondary carb, keep it light, etc.

late model block might help some too. Hydraulic roller camshaft, lighter rotating assembly.

Steve

Theres really no need for a big block in an a-body unless you are drag racing it. It will handle better with less weight on the front which should improve gas mileage some. Less weight=less gas to move it.
But like everyone said these are not ment to economical but to have fun.

Whats the price of cool worth?

The Gulf oil spill is making me re-think my 66-Valiant project... We all know their going to jack gas prices here shortly.. My first plan was a 383 sleeper everyday driver.. Now a small block might be in the works. I remember when I had a 70-GTX with a 440-super commando, mild cam, 830 holley nascar double pumper on it, I could actually watch the gas needle drop blasting down the interstate at 100+ mph---- I-- I mean 55 mph... I can't afford $5.00 + a gallon gas.... Need some input, 360 or 383??? A slant-6 or 318 isn't an option...

In an early A,a small block would be your best bet.

As far as everyday driver and gas milage,get a 4 banger.

I used to get 14 to 16 from my new 69 340 formula s fastback with 4 speed and 323.
It seems like a 360 should do the as good. That was driving it hard but with sunoco 260. 102 octane.

First of all, $5/gallon gas is a rumor. Might happen, might not. I bet if it does, there will be rioting in the streets, and politicians and oil company CEOS will be getting tossed out the window.

Second, find something else to be your daily driver. That way, this car can be something that you take out now and then to have some fun with. An evening on the town, dinner and movie, for example, can easily run $100. This is just another form of entertainment, so instead of dinner and a movie, you just fill up your tank and go to a cruise.

Third, unless you are going to race the car, dont go balls out on the mods. Built engines are a PITA if you are just going to drive it on the street. A stock 383 or 440 in an A-body is going to give you great performance, great reliability, and decent gas mileage. There's not going to be that much difference in gas mileage between a stock 360, 383, and 440 anyways. You can still put in a mild cam to get the lope, loud pipes, and use a small 4-barrel. IF the $5/gallon gas never happens, then you can just swap carbs.

Fourth, how many chances are you going to get to do what you want? Put the 440 in and deal with what happens, instead of worrying about what might happen.

I doubt that you will see an appreciable difference in gas mileage between a 360 and a 383 if both are built for performance, but a 360 would make for a more driveable package. There are a lot of compromises with a B engine in an early A body, handling, cooling etc.
If mileage is your major concern, go with a 5.2 or 5.9 magnum, keep the EFI and use a 5speed or 2 series gears in the rear.

The Gulf oil spill is making me re-think my 66-Valiant project... We all know their going to jack gas prices here shortly..
The oil companies would never take advantage of us like that. would they?:roll: A 360 with a small vacuum secondary 4bbl, very mild cam and low rear gears in a light car would make a nice fuel efficiant daily driver.

just so you know I get 13ish freeway with my mild 383 in my newport.... well ok most of the time I do. LOL

first of all, $5/gallon gas is a rumor. Might happen, might not. I bet if it does, there will be rioting in the streets, and politicians and oil company ceos will be getting tossed out the window.

Second, find something else to be your daily driver. That way, this car can be something that you take out now and then to have some fun with. An evening on the town, dinner and movie, for example, can easily run $100. This is just another form of entertainment, so instead of dinner and a movie, you just fill up your tank and go to a cruise.

Third, unless you are going to race the car, dont go balls out on the mods. Built engines are a pita if you are just going to drive it on the street. A stock 383 or 440 in an a-body is going to give you great performance, great reliability, and decent gas mileage. There's not going to be that much difference in gas mileage between a stock 360, 383, and 440 anyways. You can still put in a mild cam to get the lope, loud pipes, and use a small 4-barrel. If the $5/gallon gas never happens, then you can just swap carbs.

Fourth, how many chances are you going to get to do what you want? Put the 440 in and deal with what happens, instead of worrying about what might happen.

ditto! Spot on:)

Don't worry you will pay what the market will bear to drive your cars. We pay 1.20 / litre in northern BC, that is about 4.80 per gallon. Everybody still drives , what else do you do? Park them.

-
Back