Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
The rounds that I shot yesterday were 46 grains of 4046. Load data for the 9x56 is not very abundant. I have some load info from old reloading manuals. Powder choices include 3031, 4895, and 4350. That 6.6 lb rifle packs a pretty good wallup!
I made the bolt shroud peep sight for the rifle. I will need to work on fabricating a taller front sight. More fun stuff.
358 win starting loads should give some guidance with various powders. But you probably know that. Details on the peep?

Peeps sight for Mannlichers are hard to find. The split receiver makes it difficult to mount any peep on the receiver. Lyman made a model 56 aperture sight that springs back as the bolt hits it. When one can find them, be prepared to pay almost $600.
I scrounged through my spare parts and cobbled together a sight. I had a tang sight that I cut off the mount and silver soldered it to a spare bolt shroud. I then fabricated a post and adjustable aperture. It actually looks almost like an original bolt peep that was used back in the day.

IMG-4944 (1).jpg

IMG-4945 (1).jpg

The rounds that I shot yesterday were 46 grains of 4046. Load data for the 9x56 is not very abundant. I have some load info from old reloading manuals. Powder choices include 3031, 4895, and 4350. That 6.6 lb rifle packs a pretty good wallup!
I made the bolt shroud peep sight for the rifle. I will need to work on fabricating a taller front sight. More fun stuff.
That is true hot rodding right there, rifle style. That is a lot of cartridge for a rifle of that weight. I use a lot of 4895 and 4350, never used any 3031. When I shoot older military rigs I always try to envision myself carrying one and shooting it all day, invariably they kick the crap out of you. And the guys carrying them were much smaller than men of today. Ouch!

Thanks Sublime. I have some 3031 that was given to me, but I haven't been impressed with its performance on any load that I tried to develop. It is a powder that you can substitute grain for grain Cordite of yesteryear.

I will check for in my grandpas old reload manuals see if there is any data for the 9x56 if 3031 and 4895 are adaptable then two others off the top of my head would probably be 4064 and Blc-2

When I shoot older military rigs I always try to envision myself carrying one and shooting it all day, invariably they kick the crap out of you. And the guys carrying them were much smaller than men of today. Ouch!

A time when men were men fighting for life and country.

Wow that's Defently a hard one too finda data for checked all of gramps 1st editions of hornady and Lyman manuals and the 3rd of hornady nothings even checked a old cast reloading manual nothing checked all my latest of hornady Lyman and Speer manuals nothing. So a total of 11 manuals no info. Loaddata.com has info they show the 4895 4064 and 3031 and reloaded 7 maybe a few others but of coarse they want you to pay in order to get charge weights

It is an oddball, obsolete cartridge. Even obsolete cartridges need love. I won't have to worry about anybody stealing my ammo at deer camp.

That is true hot rodding right there, rifle style. That is a lot of cartridge for a rifle of that weight. I use a lot of 4895 and 4350, never used any 3031. When I shoot older military rigs I always try to envision myself carrying one and shooting it all day, invariably they kick the crap out of you. And the guys carrying them were much smaller than men of today. Ouch!
Before GMO, and added this and thats' in the food chain. Yessir, the Boys back then were some Bad Mothers.

Last edited:
Had to sort out a buddies pre 64 Win in 30-06 today. He mounted the scope and asked me to dial it in. Shame on me I took for granted it would at least be on the paper! Arghh. No good deed goes unpunished! She shoots purty good! I ended up putting three in ten ring on an AR target which is not exactly a precision target. Your HZ hold gets lost but it is good for vertical. If I had a better target I could have dialed her in a bit. But still pretty nice rig for a pre 64. My shoulder be talking to me now!

01A6E677-02C9-41F7-91C2-79AE66FFDD61.jpeg

I inherited my father's Remington 721 30-06 made around 1948. It is the only deer rifle that I own with a scope (Weaver K4). This rifle is from the time when Remington meant quality. The rifle is a tack driver with my reloads. The scope reticle is horrible to see except in daylight. I broke down and purchase a Bushnell Prime 3-9 with a lighted reticle. Waiting for Talley mounts to try it out. I'll be taking it along deer hunting this year. It will be like having a piece of my dad with me out in the woods.

I inherited my father's Remington 721 30-06 made around 1948. It is the only deer rifle that I own with a scope (Weaver K4). This rifle is from the time when Remington meant quality. The rifle is a tack driver with my reloads. The scope reticle is horrible to see except in daylight. I broke down and purchase a Bushnell Prime 3-9 with a lighted reticle. Waiting for Talley mounts to try it out. I'll be taking it along deer hunting this year. It will be like having a piece of my dad with me out in the woods.
Exact same deal on the pre 64 from today, it is my buddies grandfathers (RIP) he is taking it for a bucket list Elk hunt in Colorado this year. The scope that was on it was pure vintage, I could not even see thru it! It was compromised years ago. Thus the new Vortex. I would argue the parallax was not calibrated as well as it could have been but the glass was excellent. Overall a really nice scope.

Ok here is the rest of the story on the pre 64. It is my neighbors, and as previously mentioned he deeply wants to harvest an Elk with it so as to have his grandfather with him if you will. So anyway I see him out puttering on his place so me n Hemi decide to saunter over and give the rifle back to him, all sighted in and ready to go. I hand him the rifle and some city dude starts coming down his drive. Keep in mind we are in a rural agricultural area and we simply do not often see men wearing a flowing dress with a dish towel on their head. I give Hemi a standby command and we wait. The gentleman simply will not get out of the car. My neighbor gets frustrated and gives him the WTF shrug, I tell Neighbor. Think it thru, you are holding a rifle and I got a German Shepard on point, all ears, he may not be from here but he ain’t dumb! Turns out neighbors wife sold some junk on FB and this cat was coming to fetch it.

Ok here is the rest of the story on the pre 64. It is my neighbors, and as previously mentioned he deeply wants to harvest an Elk with it so as to have his grandfather with him if you will. So anyway I see him out puttering on his place so me n Hemi decide to saunter over and give the rifle back to him, all sighted in and ready to go. I hand him the rifle and some city dude starts coming down his drive. Keep in mind we are in a rural agricultural area and we simply do not often see men wearing a flowing dress with a dish towel on their head. I give Hemi a standby command and we wait. The gentleman simply will not get out of the car. My neighbor gets frustrated and gives him the WTF shrug, I tell Neighbor. Think it thru, you are holding a rifle and I got a German Shepard on point, all ears, he may not be from here but he ain’t dumb! Turns out neighbors wife sold some junk on FB and this cat was coming to fetch it.
Ali baba way on out there, huh?

Are you familiar with the recall on the 721? Probably been fixed already.

My father has a 721 in .257 Roberts
In original condition, that could be worth a bit more than the 06 versions to a collector. I had an early 30-06 and that was a bad kicker using a scope. Too much drop in the butt and a steel plate. It shot well with a red field receiver sight though.

I have one in 700 Mountain Rifle. It’s harvested quite a number of deer. I may have to hunt with it this year. Or my .260 or .308. I love having choices!!

-
Back