Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
I'm a sucker for the old school cartridges. I just find them more fun to tinker with.
The rolling block that I'm working on is chambered in 8x58 Rimmed. Brass is hard to find but I'm able to chamber and fire-form 8x56 Rimmed Hungarian. The brass is 2mm short but that's no big deal.
I'm working up some loads using my own cast lead 250 gr. and 215 gr. using Lee molds. So far, bot bullets show promise. Between Mopars, firearms and distilling, there's no time to get bored.

Hi guys,
I know I need to try them in person, but, want recommendations.
Situation- we've got a HK VP9. Beautiful feel and performance. Fits my wife perfect, but a bit big for conceal carry. We fitted the backstraps for her, the grip is a little small for me..I have to consciously pull my trigger finger to first joint, or I push it left and down.
What's a good pistol in 9mm that, while compact (say comparable to a VP9S), has a larger grip (probably back-to-front dimension, if that makes sense)? Anyone know if largest backstraps on a VP9S are equivalent grip dimensions to a VP9 if it had those backstraps?

Thanks,
Steve
I would have her go to a store and try on a SIG XL in 9mm. It is by a large margin the most popular carry gun we are seeing folks bring to the range right now.

Thanks, we'll check it out! We were looking at SIGs when we tried out the HK. The new one will be my carry, she rarely goes anywhere without me...the HK and the Beretta 12ga are home defense/fun.

Well the carnage is finally over. Another NRA instructor block is in the books. It is a very long week then at the end we do a RSO class. When they all go home I then have to clean all the firearms the students have been pawing all week long. They have to literally, with their own hands, demonstrate that they can load and unload plus clear malfunctions on every action type. So I dirty a lot of firearms! Right down to the difference in unloading a floor plate vs box vs tube magazines, single action vs double, side by side vs pump. You get the idea! The pix is only one table. It is a lot of hands on but I feel explaining it and demonstrating the skillset are two totally different animals. As an RSO they do not get to dictate what kind of equipment a guy may show up with at the range, so they darn sure better be able to load and unload it gracefully! We never would have made it without coffee and snacks for me!

IMG_1753.jpeg

IMG_1756.jpeg

IMG_1757.jpeg

Well the carnage is finally over. Another NRA instructor block is in the books. It is a very long week then at the end we do a RSO class. When they all go home I then have to clean all the firearms the students have been pawing all week long. They have to literally, with their own hands, demonstrate that they can load and unload plus clear malfunctions on every action type. So I dirty a lot of firearms! Right down to the difference in unloading a floor plate vs box vs tube magazines, single action vs double, side by side vs pump. You get the idea! The pix is only one table. It is a lot of hands on but I feel explaining it and demonstrating the skillset are two totally different animals. As an RSO they do not get to dictate what kind of equipment a guy may show up with at the range, so they darn sure better be able to load and unload it gracefully! We never would have made it without coffee and snacks for me!

View attachment 1716263630

View attachment 1716263631

View attachment 1716263633
Nice that they had flavor packs for the coffee

:poke:

I was looking for a new scope for my SHTF rifle, I ended up grabbing a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x which they are selling under the 'Ranger' name now. It's older tech, but still a decent scope, especially for the under $300 price.

Decided to go zero the scope and do a few supressed mag dumps with my son, so we went to the range for a few hours. The scope is not Daylight bright on a light target, on a darker target it shows up good. I love the reticle, it fits the rifles purpose perfectly.

And once again, I am amazed at my sons ability. He is picking it up quickly. This is about 75 rounds at the target.

20240616_113240.jpg

vortex-tmcq-mrad-reticle.jpg

I was looking for a new scope for my SHTF rifle, I ended up grabbing a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x which they are selling under the 'Ranger' name now. It's older tech, but still a decent scope, especially for the under $300 price.

Decided to go zero the scope and do a few supressed mag dumps with my son, so we went to the range for a few hours. The scope is not Daylight bright on a light target, on a darker target it shows up good. I love the reticle, it fits the rifles purpose perfectly.

And once again, I am amazed at my sons ability. He is picking it up quickly. This is about 75 rounds at the target.

View attachment 1716264800

View attachment 1716264801
I think we discussed these scopes a million pages back and my position remains unchanged. They are simply a great scope for the value. For the cost you just cannot beat them.

We talked about the Strike Eagle, and then I came across this one for similar money. I wish the turrets were either capped, or a bit shorter as they are really tall, and I'm not a fan of their use of shims to make a 'zero stop', but overall, I am happy with it.

My son shot it, but didn't like the gas coming back at him from running the supressor, I ended up ordering a gas defeating charging handle. It doesn't bother me, but if it'll help him get into shooting it more, it's worth it.

View attachment 1716264800

View attachment 1716264801
PS tell your boy that is some great shooting! I had a student today bring out a AR in 556 with a can. He proceeded to take a shot and the can launched like a grenade launcher. The can went right thru the target! We were at about ten yards. It was classic! He had to clean out his britches. We retired both can and rifle. I explained he needed to take them home and take apart and inspect each and every piece. It was a hot mess.

Haha, that's great! I know a LOT of people that have had that happen, luckily I haven't experienced it yet and hope to never. SilencerCo will warranty the first oopsie no questions asked, even if it's totally your fault.

I'll let him know. He had a great time until the guy next to us showed up with an AK with a break. The concussion was a bit rough.

Haha, that's great! I know a LOT of people that have had that happen, luckily I haven't experienced it yet and hope to never. SilencerCo will warranty the first oopsie no questions asked, even if it's totally your fault.

I'll let him know. He had a great time until the guy next to us showed up with an AK with a break. The concussion was a bit rough.
Some of those muzzle breaks are truly obnoxious to shooter beside them. Blow your hat clean off. The can incident today was very clearly operator error. He is going to be buying some parts for sure. The new hole in end cap was not centered.
Hehehehe

I’m a gun owner and I have sinned. It’s not that I haven’t been to the range, but I haven’t been there enough. I have a AR15, an AR15-22, a Bullpup semi and a half case of buckshot, and one or three pistols that I’ve owned for over a year, and have never fired. I promise I will try to do better.

I happened to fall into a deal that I couldn't pass up. A guy I sold some parts to had a builders kit for an AR10. He mentioned he was trying to sell it to make some space on his workbench. We'll, a few texts back and forth and I was able to trade a 1/10 ounce of gold for a mostly complete AR10. It turns out it's all Aero Precision Parts, except he bought an AR15 buffer and stock kit for it, so it needed the correct 308 buffer in it, and a handguard. I noticed the gas key was slightly bent as well, it looked like the BCG had been dropped and landed on the gas key, so I picked up a replacement key and a new gas tube for it.

A few hours in the garage this weekend and I now have a full Aero Precision AR10. Most of that time felt like it was shimming the keymo adapter properly. Lol. No assortment of shims wanted to give me the proper clocking, but I finally got it perfect.

Looking forward to hitting the range with it soon, but based on 308 cost, I doubt I'll end up using it that much. Most of my inventory of 308 is match ammo, which I don't want to waste, so I'll have to pick up some 'cheap' stuff to use.

I ended up topping it with a 6-18 Nikon Prostaff that I had laying around, should be more than sufficient for this rifles purpose.

The vice was just for the pic, that's not what I used to assemble everything.

20240623_112218.jpg

I’m a gun owner and I have sinned. It’s not that I haven’t been to the range, but I haven’t been there enough. I have a AR15, an AR15-22, a Bullpup semi and a half case of buckshot, and one or three pistols that I’ve owned for over a year, and have never fired. I promise I will try to do better.
Hah! With your race schedule I can see how that would happen. I say fill three mags say three Hail Marys and we will all forgive you! Hope you and your boy are rocking it this summer. I have no idea how you guys squeeze all you do into one race season. I would be bat poop crazy.

I happened to fall into a deal that I couldn't pass up. A guy I sold some parts to had a builders kit for an AR10. He mentioned he was trying to sell it to make some space on his workbench. We'll, a few texts back and forth and I was able to trade a 1/10 ounce of gold for a mostly complete AR10. It turns out it's all Aero Precision Parts, except he bought an AR15 buffer and stock kit for it, so it needed the correct 308 buffer in it, and a handguard. I noticed the gas key was slightly bent as well, it looked like the BCG had been dropped and landed on the gas key, so I picked up a replacement key and a new gas tube for it.

A few hours in the garage this weekend and I now have a full Aero Precision AR10. Most of that time felt like it was shimming the keymo adapter properly. Lol. No assortment of shims wanted to give me the proper clocking, but I finally got it perfect.

Looking forward to hitting the range with it soon, but based on 308 cost, I doubt I'll end up using it that much. Most of my inventory of 308 is match ammo, which I don't want to waste, so I'll have to pick up some 'cheap' stuff to use.

I ended up topping it with a 6-18 Nikon Prostaff that I had laying around, should be more than sufficient for this rifles purpose.

The vice was just for the pic, that's not what I used to assemble everything.

View attachment 1716266744
Me personally I really like Aero precision for nothing fancy just good ole reliable AR platform type stuff. Glad you took the time to clock it. I cannot tell you how many home built rigs I see that are functional and safe but just a bit wonky on clocking. The typical AR guys are just not very finicky, if it goes bang they are happy. Very different than the bolt action crowd. Which honestly makes my job easier on occasion.

No kidding

For fathers day, my wife had bought me and some friends a round at the clay course

I took my HR pardner (870 knock off) and I don't think I had shot it in years

I just put finishing touches on range shelter I built, all under Gracie’s watchful eye! Both kit and seating bench is complete, rain gear hooks, and a custom water jug shelf! I still need some metal trim pieces but that can wait. For all intent and purpose I declare the shelter complete!

IMG_1783.jpeg

IMG_1782.jpeg

-
Back