"H-pipe," X-pipe," or no pipe?

-
I used the Summit X pipe on the stock 5.2 with the Hedman shorty headers and a 2.5" mandrel bent custom exhaust with the Summit dual exhaust kit with the turbo mufflers...I don't think it sounds like a Mustang at all. It sounds like a smooth running stock small block V8 through a generic exhaust system with a crossover. Truthfully speaking, I'm pleased with the way it sounds.

Used the Summit 3" x kit,with knockoff Flow two chambers,on a mild 408.(no tails) Sounded terrific at idle & midrange,WFO attracted every cop in town.Needed to change mufflers,lol.

lol-yeah, I bet. I loves me some 2 chambered flows (to include the knockoffs), but I know a lot of folks who just can't abide...

A good friend of mine has a '93 Cobra that was pretty heavily modded...408, solid roller, TFS-R heads, manual V/B pro-built C4, welded spooled 8.8, aftermarket drag brakes, etc...it had dumped 1 chamber flows no x-over--man, that thing would raise your heart rate and you could hear it coming long before it arrived...he lived down the street from a Texas DPS trooper...I'm sure you can guess he had to install some quieter mufflers and he installed an X pipe to keep from drawing the trooper's ire. I think he lost a couple tenths in the 1/8 after swapping the exhaust, but at least he could tag and drive it if he wanted to.

He only drove it for one season then took it down to build a 438 out of a World block and have the heads hogged out...that was like 7 years ago...I have no idea if he's made any progress with it since then.

Attachments

• Troy Cobra4.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 238
  • Troy Cobra.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 233
  • Troy Cobra3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 217
  • Troy Cobra2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 255
Used the Summit 3" x kit,with knockoff Flow two chambers,on a mild 408.(no tails) Sounded terrific at idle & midrange,WFO attracted every cop in town.Needed to change mufflers,lol.

Fixin to run the exact same on my truck when I swap in the 400. Headers, 3" straight exhaust to the rear end with turn downs and Summit 2 chambers. 400 will have that Crane Fireball I sent you the specs on. 228/236 @ .050 on a 108.

lol-yeah, I bet. I loves me some 2 chambered flows (to include the knockoffs), but I know a lot of folks who just can't abide...

A good friend of mine has a '93 Cobra that was pretty heavily modded...408, solid roller, TFS-R heads, manual V/B pro-built C4, welded spooled 8.8, aftermarket drag brakes, etc...it had dumped 1 chamber flows no x-over--man, that thing would raise your heart rate and you could hear it coming long before it arrived...he lived down the street from a Texas DPS trooper...I'm sure you can guess he had to install some quieter mufflers and he installed an X pipe to keep from drawing the trooper's ire. I think he lost a couple tenths in the 1/8 after swapping the exhaust, but at least he could tag and drive it if he wanted to.

He only drove it for one season then took it down to build a 438 out of a World block and have the heads hogged out...that was like 7 years ago...I have no idea if he's made any progress with it since then.

That's a sweet combo, until I see a spool with that short wheelbase.(Ohhh!) Easy mid - high 10's,N/A hooked.The two new neighbors are both cops. One has an unmuffled Harley, the other hides an SRT 8 Challenger in the garage. Don't see a problem,there.

Fixin to run the exact same on my truck when I swap in the 400. Headers, 3" straight exhaust to the rear end with turn downs and Summit 2 chambers. 400 will have that Crane Fireball I sent you the specs on. 228/236 @ .050 on a 108.

That should sound sweet ,Rob. Those slower ramps,less advertised are dead on. Mine had that 106 l.c./312 advertised/260@ .050 cookie,you bought...

So the vote is for no crossover then? Lol I think I will stick with my homemade H pipe. ;)

So the vote is for no crossover then? Lol I think I will stick with my homemade H pipe. ;)

Sounds to me that quite a few people like the X-pipe. That's the route I'm gonna go. I'm thinking it will go well with the Doug's Headers and mild built 360.

IMM should be done with my engine shortly. My car is at the body shop but should be painted soon too. The next few months I'll be busy, and broke!

-
Back