Hacked 68-70 charger tank in A body.

-

clementine

Flight risk
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The trials of hot rodding.

the idea is to run no spare tire and use a plug kit and a tiny compressor for air. Mainly because the mini tub and stock setup leave little room for exhaust. (I know it can be done) I have practiced on a couple screws in my tires over the last year and once i hear the "tick tick" off the jersey barrier i have been able to fix even without removing wheel or jacking vehicle.

So how is this related to a 68 charger tank that has 5" removed off the back and placed into an A body with the spare wheel well removed?

Well, i filled up tank for the first time the car has been driven more than 10 miles during shakedown run back from exhaust shop finishing tubes over the axle.

The filler tube to tank was not good. Puked fuel all over the place (gas station). I notified attendant and prayed not to catch fire on the last mile home. I had a follow vehicle.

Anyway i made it home and siphoned off 10 gallons and got to work. I used a 1 7/8 ID X 2" ID exhaust reducer. Shoved it into rubber grommet and married it to stock tube.

No leaks.

20240713_141153.jpg

20191009_181522.jpg

20191128_123102.jpg

20191128_134818.jpg

Could the tank be turned sideways in order to have the filler opening in the tank aligned with the stock fill location on the body?

Could the tank be turned sideways in order to have the filler opening in the tank aligned with the stock fill location on the body?
No need to turn...It lines up...... almost. And the idea is to gain room for exhaust and make things a bit more straightforward under The car in the rear. The 68 tank has a slight angle at the filler hole, where the A body is primarily a hole in the side with little to no variance. I had to build a crook into the stock filler tube to make it work.

Ill post a picture tube to tank junction later today.

Last edited:
Differences

Screenshot_20240714-113110.jpg

Screenshot_20240714-112958.jpg

You can see the angle i had to put in the end of the fill tube to make up for the difference. It ain't much, probably 15* but necessary. Plus, it needed a little length. The stock tube barely made it into hole. I probably installed it and told myself "I need to address that" .... And didn't.

20240713_141153.jpg

Last edited:
Nice welds daddy-o.
Thanks.

Lately, unless it's panels or thin metal, I'm turning that thing up. Before i used to try slow burn, but the material wasn't getting hot enough. Still learning.

As for the comparison pictures above, you can see the distance and height of the fill hole from the front of the tank, heading towards rear, (of the charger tank) is very similar to the Abody tank. Just the 'cant' of it is different.

So it clears the 8 3/4 and shocks with no bending of the tanks pinch flange.

Thanks.

Lately, unless it's panels or thin metal, I'm turning that thing up. Before i used to try slow burn, but the material wasn't getting hot enough. Still learning.
Your on your way.

-
Back