Had my gauges rebuilt

-

Basher

Reaction score
Hey All,

I bought my 63 Valiant with a bad voltage reducer so the fuel gauge and temp gauge didn't work. I tried adding the external unit, but must have hooked it up wrong, because I let all the smoke out real quick!!

My dad has worked with Jeff Carter at JC Auto Restorations in Lynnwood, WA on a few different issues, like the gauges and taillight in his 66 Charger and the vacuum switches for the heater in his 64 Sport Fury.

Jeff opened up the gauges and replaced the voltage reducer with the solid state unit, and then rewound the coils on both gauges. He then found that the cluster had been worked on about 3000 miles ago, as was written on the back, and he said the speedo looked like it had been stepped on when it was out. The odometer wheels were rubbing on the back of the speedo face. He had the parts in stock and fixed all of that.

He cleaned it all, cleaned all the electrical fittings and painted the needles bright orange. He offered a different bezel with brighter chrome, but it had other blemishes, so I kept the one I had.

Due to the extra work he found in there, it ended up being a little more than I was expecting to pay, but it's all fixed and it all works well; I am very happy with it. I definitely recommend his shop.

upload_2022-9-1_6-58-25.jpeg

I didn't post any pictures, cuz it's not that exciting to look at; but here you go! 1 with gauges off, 1 with gauges on, and 1 of Jeff Carter

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 1.53.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 1.53.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 1.52.40 PM.png

-
Back