Half floor pans question

-

Cam1399

Reaction score
I’m about to do floor pans on my 74 duster. Has anyone ever done the half pans? Is this recommended to the small ones? Thanks

I’m about to do floor pans on my 74 duster. Has anyone ever done the half pans? Is this recommended to the small ones? Thanks
I did the half pans on my 64. They were honestly great.

IMG_2021.jpeg

IMG_2113.jpeg

Looks really good I think I’d rather do the half instead of 4 smaller ones

Looks really good I think I’d rather do the half instead of 4 smaller ones

If you need to use all 4 of the footwell pans, you’d be better off just installing the 1 piece, OE style full floor replacement from AMD.

Replacing all 4 footwells with the partial pans available will be significantly more welding than the full replacement pan. The half pans might be better than replacing 4 sections, but it’s still gonna be more welding than using the OE style replacement. No seam or butt welding with the full pan, just spot welds.

If you need to use all 4 of the footwell pans, you’d be better off just installing the 1 piece, OE style full floor replacement from AMD.

Replacing all 4 footwells with the partial pans available will be significantly more welding than the full replacement pan. The half pans might be better than replacing 4 sections, but it’s still gonna be more welding than using the OE style replacement. No seam or butt welding with the full pan, just spot welds.
I agree, if a full pan is available for your year, that’s the way to go. Just welds around the perimeter, less need to make sure your cuts line up perfectly as with the smaller sections and less welding.

Can you get a full pan in without taking the glass out? With the half pan , can all the welds be lap welds?

I believe you can get the full pan in on a 2-door car. Yes, you can do a lap weld. Most people do a butt weld by tacking and then doing the full seam, but if you're up close to the door frame itself you wouldn't lose anything by lapwelding, and you could throw some silicone between the pieces before priming to prevent moisture intrusion.
You can see on my small pans we did a lap weld on each of them, cut close, siliconed, and screwed the two overlapping pieces together around the perimeter to hold the piece close together, and then removed a couple screws at a time and tacked through the hole then came along the perimeter and lapwelded.

Okay thanks. I figured lap welding would be much easier

It is, but it leaves a space where rust can form later which requires more prep to seal, like described above.

It also just adds that much more welding to the operation, since you’ll still have all the spot welds to do too

-
Back