Hall of Fame Catcher Gary Carter Gone At 57

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter passed earlier today at the age of 57. He was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor last May, two weeks after finishing his second season as coach at Palm Beach Atlantic University.
Carter was an 11-time All-Star and three-time Gold Glove winner. His bottom-of-the-10th single in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series helped the New York Mets mount a charge against Boston and eventually beat them.
One of the best catchers ever to play the game. He will be missed.

Seen him play alot against the Phillies when he was with the expos..Sad

The Baseball World indeed lost a good friend today. I have known Gary for 20+ years... he lives around the corner and we attend the same church. "The Kid" had amazing energy and a good Christian heart.

He played for the love of the game... cant say that about many players anymore.

God Bless you Gary... you will be missed my friend. DougC

Attachments

• gary-carter1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 97
He was one of the main players I remember growing up in the 70's -80's when he played for the Expos. Kind of a mini Canadian baseball hero even if he wasn't from Canada...I am pretty sure.

..........He was a great player and displayed great sportmanship.......1 of the best to ever play the game........kim......

He was a great player and a childhood idol. He will be missed. I hope they play his highlight reels all week like they have been for that junkie Whitney Houston. He was a true role model.

Family and friends are invited to attend a memorial service on Friday, February 24th at 7:00pm at Christ Fellowship Church, 5343 Northlake Blvd., Palm Beach Gardens, FL.
Ill be there in support of my FABO brethren...

Just got home from the Gary Carter Memorial Service at my church... Christ Fellowship in Palm Beach Gardens.

Amazing service and great turnout as friends, family, and ex-teammates payed their respects to The Kid.

Some of the more notable names in attendance were Johnny Bench, Jim Palmer, Ozzie Smith, Rusty Staub, Keith Hernandez, Darryl Strawberry and many many more as well as some GM's and a couple team owners.
Its always nice to see old friends- you just hate for it to be under these circumstances. 57yrs old is far too young...

Makes you realize how precious life really is. God Bless you Gary...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7613204/former-teammates-gather-remember-gary-carter

Attachments

• GaryCarter_590x161_v3.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 59
Growing up here in Canada as a teenager there was only the Expos to watch at first, then came the Blue Jays years later. I always loved watching the Expos...Gary Carter, Steve Rogers, Pete Rose with dad on Friday nights. Pretty amazing to think that he played that position for as long as he did and as well as he did. 20 years takes an awful toll on your knees and back. RIP

-
Back