Hand Washing vs Car Wash Hose(High Pressure)

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
I was just wondering where everyone out here stood on the subject of hand washing or car wash(high pressure) for a car that is all painted pretty and is cleared? I personally always hand wash my car and chamois it afterward and I feel that this method is far superior to using a high pressure hose. Also on the same subject, What about using a buffing wheel on clear coat finishes? I never use a buffer on my paint. I prefer to just hand buff the finish. I was told that a buffer can cause swirls in the clear coat. What cha' think??????

Not only is the high pressure wash isn't good for the paint many do it youself car washes use recycle water. I like using water clean enough to drink to wash my car8)

If you have to wash your car with those pressure washers at least stand back 15 feet. I see some guys looking like they are trying to blast the paint off.

I have detailed and poilshed cars for years. Here is my opinions on what you ask.

Hand washing will always be better. Use a detergent made for car washing.
Using dish soap or laundry soap is a no-no.

There is nothing wrong with buffing your car out if needed. The thing here is you need to have experience. Yes you can swirl and virtually ruin clear coats and paint jobs. If you paint is in good shape and you just want to shine it up using a good orbital buffer and a good cleaner/polisher pad is the best and will eliminate the chance of swirls. I have had to clean swirled paint jobs up before... just did one actually that was soo bad.. metallic black... someone had no idea what they were doing. I fixed it. Doing it by hand is very time consuming, but usually does a satisfactory job. You however will always get a better shine from a machine buff/polish. Just ask the people that have seen my car !! ha ha. If you decide to buff/polish let me know through a p.m. and I can tell you some more pointers. High speed variable buffer/ polishers are only for very skilled people. Dont let anyone touch it with one unless you have seen their work before.

Hope that helps some.

-RPM

Definatly hand wash. That way you get to know whats going on with the outside of your car. I also do iside finder wells, wipe out door jams etc. Doesn't take that long and a good habbet to get into.

My car is NEVER dirty to the point it needs any kind of soap to get clean..i use straight water,towel dry, wax or use detail spray...nothing else..

My car is NEVER dirty to the point it needs any kind of soap to get clean..i use straight water,towel dry, wax or use detail spray...nothing else..

ya as mine is not a daily driver its usually pretty much the same as you.

-RPM

I like hand washing as it allows me to really bond with Wanda and feel every curve and shape she has! That sounds weird right?

John B.

I like hand washing as it allows me to really bond with Wanda and feel every curve and shape she has! That sounds weird right?

John B.
No, it does not at all. Bonding with your girl is so very rewarding. As for the original post, I always wash by hand and wash the fender wells as well as the door sills and trim. I feel as though if you keep it clean and shiny then it is less to maintain the car in the long run. I often need to wash my car when I cruise at night because the bugs that stick to the grill and headlights and hood, windows, etc.... but I never use any Eagle `1 products. I think that they are too oily and are poor quality. For me it is Meguires, Zaino, Mother's, or TurtleWax Synthetic detailers. As for polish I love Liquid Glass. It is expensive ($22.00/can) but well worth it. Thanks for the input everyone.

John B.

I destroyed my first car after having it for 3 years. Went too fast in to a curve, back end swung out-dumb GM A Bodies for you. I was laid up in hospital for 19 straight days, broken one leg, upper jaw and my hip. Car was crack or bent everywhere, got hauled off to the junk yeard before I was released-seen pictures of it-big deal, I wanted to see it first hand. Was knock out on impact.

So to me a car is a hunk of steel and that is all. There are better cars than mine and I try to keep it clean and solid and pretty but do I really give a heck about it, nope. I learned the hard way what is important.

ME! Was 8 long months before I felt good as new again. People are what really matters. Thank god my gf wasn't it inside it--or anybody else.

So for the rant but I hear of this "my car is my baby" talk and I just can not relate to it.

i used Liquid Glass on a bike I had yers ago, kept the paint looking great.

The only time my car gets washed is when I get caught in the rain at a car show /cruise. Otherwise mine is coverd all the time and only needs cleaned with detailer.

Nothing wrong with hand washing your pride and joy. Just make sure that the mitt you're using is clean. You can scratch a car's finish easily with a piece of road tar that stuck to your mitt.

BTW we power wash, mitt, then power rinse $100k Lexus' EVERYDAY at the dealership. And we don't turn anyone loose with a buffing wheel that doesn't know what their doing. Swirls can be removed, burnt paint can't be repaired.

I have no choise but to use the power washs. 7 miles of dirt road to get to any pavment. Get it wet, wash mit, then rinse and towel dry.

-
Back