Handling Advise torsion bars and/or sway bars?

-

player1up

Reaction score
I need opinions on what the best handling improvement gain for the cost would be. upgrading torsion bars or installing front sway bar?

The car is a 73 duster with a /6 daily driver
Tires are 205/60/15 on 15x7 wheels

My thoughts are that the sway bar would help body roll but wouldn't the stiffer torsion bars also help body roll?

Thanks
Matt

The first upgrade would be shocks if you havnt already done so.I like KYB'S,they will firm the car up,and not break the bank.Second would be torsion bars.Not sure what bar you have in your 73,but I would guess it to be a slant six/318 light duty bar.Go for a .890" 383 (P5249150) set of bars.Between the shocks and these bars you will feel a big difference in the ride.It will be much firmer,without the bouncy bounce.Then add a sway bar.

The only problem,torsion bars.You use to be able to get a new set for $150.00.They are now $300.00.:(

Good luck.

I'm sure it is a lot tighter now than when I drove it home (front wheel would rub the UCA occasionally :lol: )
I rebuilt the suspension about a year ago and can't remember what shocks I picked back then (i want to say like $50-60 for the pair) and I painted them. The car has not seen the road yet and as of now I only have enough "spare" money to do one or the other.
Thanks

Springs and torsion bars are important, but tires, shocks and swaybars are the big three when it comes to handling. The right combination of those to include a rear swaybar will make an a-body handle and corner with the best of 'em.

Bigger torsion bars will help against body roll but it also will add ride harshness due to the higher spring rate. This is the nice thing about sway bars, they help against sway but don't change the ride because they don't add spring rate to the car. So it really depends on what you want. I myself like mild spring rates with bigger sway bars and firmer shocks on street cars. It works like this, the mild spring rate gives me a nice ride, the bigger sway bars help it go thru the corners and the firmer shocks keep the car from "floating" up and down at higher freeway speeds.

Chuck

-
Back