Hanging my new exhaust.

-

Tad

Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
As I’m putting in my new exhaust I wanted to ask in advance if there’s anything specific I should look out for. This is definitely a custom/make it work kind of exhaust. Looking at how the pipes are coming down from the manifolds. they run pretty close to the torsion bars as well as my transmission coolant lines. First thought is to wrap the pipes with exhaust wrap to help keep temperatures down. It’s going to be short pipes just passed the torsion boxes where I’ll be attaching my delta 40 Flowmaster mufflers with downpipe’s. Curious about the distance from the floor to the mufflers as well.

for the trans lines, i would wrap them. something like THIS. you can do stuff with the mufflers too, wraps or shields. with the T bars you just need it to clear. how are you attaching the flex pipe to the manifolds?

I see your using flex-pipe for head pipes. Not my choice, but its not my car either .Just my 2 cent observation

E2931726-9465-48B5-9F02-545752D2D119.jpeg
for the trans lines, i would wrap them. something like THIS. you can do stuff with the mufflers too, wraps or shields. with the T bars you just need it to clear. how are you attaching the flex pipe to the manifolds?
I actually have a small adapter pipe. It’s a 2 1/4 inner diameter and a 2 1/4 outer diameter. Basically the flex pipe slips into the adapter and the adapter slips into the muffler. I’ll attach that with clamps.

I see your using flex-pipe for head pipes. Not my choice, but its not my car either .Just my 2 cent observation
There is still about 4 to 5 inches of actual exhaust pipe that is bolted to the manifold. I’m just hooking onto that with flex pipe to get around the torsion bars and out from under the engine. This isn’t a show car so I’m not really worried about how it looks. As long as I can get the exhaust out.

I'd take it to my local muffler shop & have them put solid wall pipe in instead of the flex pipe.

Last edited:
Exhaust flex pipe should be paired with ribbed or universal radiator hoses. The matched set is important.

View attachment 1715562977 View attachment 1715562976 As I’m putting in my new exhaust I wanted to ask in advance if there’s anything specific I should look out for. This is definitely a custom/make it work kind of exhaust. Looking at how the pipes are coming down from the manifolds. they run pretty close to the torsion bars as well as my transmission coolant lines. First thought is to wrap the pipes with exhaust wrap to help keep temperatures down. It’s going to be short pipes just passed the torsion boxes where I’ll be attaching my delta 40 Flowmaster mufflers with downpipe’s. Curious about the distance from the floor to the mufflers as well.
Looks like you put the flex pipe inside of th emuffler? That won't work! :BangHead::BangHead:

Believe me I get it. I know it’s not the best solution. Right now for what the car is to me all I need is for the exhaust to come out the bottom of the car and through some mufflers. This is not a car I plan on spending a ton of money on right now. I want to get it running and driving and then focus on my super bee. That’s the car that will get everything the way it should be

Looks like you put the flex pipe inside of th emuffler? That won't work! :BangHead::BangHead:
Believe me I get it. I know it’s not the best solution. Right now for what the car is to me all I need is for the exhaust to come out the bottom of the car and through some mufflers. This is not a car I plan on spending a ton of money on right now. I want to get it running and driving and then focus on my super bee. That’s the car that will get everything the way it should be
Sorry but the solid pipe won't clamp against the flex pipe. The flex pipe needs to be on the outside of the pipe.

Sorry but the solid pipe won't clamp against the flex pipe. The flex pipe needs to be on the outside of the pipe.
I understand that. I actually have an adapter that’s between the muffler and the flex pipe it’s a piece of regular exhaust pipe. On that piece I have it set up the way you were describing. The picture I posted was just a quick mock up. I ended up adding a 12 inch piece of exhaust pipe between the flex and the muffler

-
Back