Happy 3.18 day

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
For all you 318 fans out there. Show off your teen here.

20160522_180227.jpg

C88D1131-98BE-4C92-BAB3-47C412374B92.jpeg
Trying out and setting up another Holley 4711. I really need to fix a 318 up on a run stand…

My '72, almost together again. Two steps forward, one step back, but getting there.

20211229_212239.jpg

Engine (2).JPG

My '75 318 is finally going to the builder next Friday. It may return as a 390 if I can afford it (?), but it is defiantly going to return as more than a 145hp smog 318!

You can be sure that after a rebuild, whether you choose to stroke it or not, it won't be a 318 any longer. Mine is a 324 now!

The six month progression of my teener.
PXL_20210920_000336296 (1).jpg

September: Knew that it ran and drove. thats about it.
PXL_20211202_233143033.PORTRAIT (1).jpg

December: Got it in, Knew that it sounded like **** and didn't run worth a damn. Felt like it had ~100 horsepower.
PXL_20220126_014052818.jpg

January: I had senior portraits in three days and I wanted to take them with the duster and my truck. (I wanted a burnout pic) That's when the 2 barrel was flooding and I realized that no matter how many times I rebuild this carb, it will never run good enough to do a burnout.
The next morning I bought a brand new QFT 600VS marine and put on the 1971 TQ manifold I had gotten with the motor. The night before picture day I fired it up for the first time.
Made it to picture day and everything worked beautifully.
--suspected that my little teener had been gone through and hopped up sometime before the previous owner bought it.
PXL_20220220_003903529.PORTRAIT (1).jpg

February: Manifold is now black. After the picture day I realized that the back of the manifold was POURING oil. this was my first intake swap so of course I did it wrong. Got metal gaskets, cork china wall gaskets and re did it. (slightly warped manifold so instead of oil, it leaked horsepower and vacuum. not acceptable) That lasted three hours before I tore it apart again.
Re painted the manifold a different black, and got R3 race head intake manifold gaskets. (thickest I could find) Everything finally worked how it should. Now I am certain that the motor has had a bump stick put in and when I looked in the spark plug holes, there are valve reliefs on the pistons. Has at least been rebuilt once.
PXL_20220226_000940610.jpg

February 25: Homecoming dance at school and I was determined to drive it with long tube headers. (thanks @Jim Ward ) went to a friends house and 13 hours later, we got the headers on. The biggest thrash I have done. He also had a dance to go to that night and he was putting a supercharger on his bug at the same time. Made it to the dance with no problems, pissed off multiple parents and staff because there was no time to put mufflers on it. And OF COURSE I had to rev it to announce my presence. car flies now and shoots massive flames.
PXL_20220315_005553266.PORTRAIT.jpg

March: It is finally reliable; have driven at least 150 miles in the past two weeks, almost tuned perfectly, tomorrow I am going out to finish tuning and getting the bog out of it. Transmission was slipping super bad, I thought it was junk. nope, turns out I'm a dipshit and there was almost zero fluid in it. Put in a whole bottle of lucas stop slip and filled it up. shifts great now. I suspect a shift kit is in it now too.

Happy 3/18 everybody!

Three months ago I had a Chevy guy ask me why I painted my engine bay blue .
Just poking you!

What size 4 barrel's and intake manifold are you running on your teen?
I assume you are talking my dual quads. A pair of 600 eddies and it's a offenhauser dual quad intake for the early 273's that I wobbled out the bolt holes

Last edited:
Very nice engine bay. I like when the engine compartment is painted body color inside of black
Me too but I have one of each. I was in a hurry to set my 273 in and scuffed, primed, andspray bombed it gloss black. Looks better than rust. I should have waited a couple days to get the original color put in a spray can.

runs good but that engine is soon to be pulled. Complete different project with the car now...
Cool. I've always been a fan of the 318, guess because so many have looked down on it. And as you very well know can be made to run.

-
Back