Happy to be on board and yes, I have a question.

-

MikeT

Reaction score
New to the forums. I hope at some point I can help someone out.

I have a question about my 1974 440-3 engine.

I'm thinking I might have a small head gasket leak.
I lose a little coolant over time, exhaust seems a little smokier than normal at cold start, clears up when warm but puts out some small puffs at odd times. Unfortunately I don't have enough experience to tell if I'm running a little rich or if its some coolant burning off. Its not billowing out at any point.

No bubbles in coolant, Oil color seems good (no milky color).
I decided to take the valve covers off to look at things. The springs are green, about the same color as the coolant (see Pic).
Does this mean anything?

Vehicle is not registered so I haven't been able to give it a good run. Engine has just been idling off and on as I work on it.

Thanks for any help

Mike

IMG_0670.JPEG

:welcome: from :canada:

I would say the springs are simply green.
Coolant in the oil will make it a real slimy mess, kinda like sewage if left for a while.
As for loosing coolant, it could be seeping into the exhaust or the smoke you see at startup could be from condensation in the exhaust system.

:welcome: from :canada:

I would say the springs are simply green.
Coolant in the oil will make it a real slimy mess, kinda like sewage if left for a while.
As for loosing coolant, it could be seeping into the exhaust or the smoke you see at startup could be from condensation in the exhaust system.
Thanks Linc

I’ll stop worry about it and move on to other things.
I think I need to give it a good run to really see where everything stands.

-
Back