Harbor Freight Jack Stand Recall

-
The post on all of these cheap stands also will ****-eye with weight on them. Regardless, of weight distribution. This also adds unnecessary stress. Be careful guys. Don’t trust this Chinese junk with your life.

I have to honest here, I have always felt the 3 leg design to be more steadfast. For an example, take a four point stand and stick a nut under one of the feet..it will rock. Now do the same with a three legged stand, may not stand straight, but it will not rock. I have never seen a four legged stand in my military maintenance days, could there be a reason.....

aircraft stands.jpg

I have to honest here, I have always felt the 3 leg design to be more steadfast. For an example, take a four point stand and stick a nut under one of the feet..it will rock. Now do the same with a three legged stand, may not stand straight, but it will not rock. I have never seen a four legged stand in my military maintenance days, could there be a reason.....

View attachment 1715532647

Most likely because the triangle is the strongest of all geometric shapes.

Regardless, what jack stands you use. You should always practice using a backup. When I lift my car off the ground using stands. I lift it high enough to use a back up under the wheels. Like those steel car ramps / cinder blocks with wood across the top of blocks / a floor jack. Or backup jack stands if you have enough. You never know with all of the cheap steel being used today. It seems most jack stands use cast steel for the post. Which is more prone to crack or break.
Never have completely trusted jackstands. Always use at least 1 back up. Sometimes 2.
Nowadays it's this. Have I mentioned I got a lift? :)
20200411_081513.jpg

Supposedly, they are supplying faulty replacement stands as well. I've not seen an official recall notice on this. It's your life, do as you will.

they will NOW take back all stands if you don't trust them. you will get an in store credit. i took back some that were not on recall and got what i paid for them. 5-6 years ago. all they show now are aluminum stands.

-
Back