harbor freight tools?????

-

you

Reaction score
checked out their web site last night. seems like they have some good prices. that being said how would you rate their air tools? thinkn bout getn some air tools and a sand blaster from them. thanks p.s what the hell does it mean when some one posts the word "bump"

My advice: Don't buy their vises.... I wrote a thread about it a month or two ago :D

When people type "bump", it means they are putting that thread back on top of the list, hoping people will read it.. the more a thread is on top of a list, the more chances someone will read it...

Be very,very careful what you buy from these guys. The quality is really bad. We have a local store here so I can look any tool I might want over very closely.

That being said, I have an electric angle grinder and a pnuematic die grinder that are still going strong but would not be tempted to buy a impact wrench from them. They are also good for cheap vise grip style welding clamps that I just get spattered with weld anyway.

Everything else breaks. I can twist off their 1/2" to 3/8" impact adapters like butter and that's by hand.

Oh, their O-ring kits are actually made of good stuff, well worth the few dollars.

HF JUNK......JUNK.....JUNK.....JUNK..........I have one 10 miles from my house all China tools JUNK

I have many of their tools, hand, air and electric.
Some are junk, but others have worked out fine.

I try to buy US and North American tools, but sometimes it is not cost effective, for one or two times use. I have also walked into a Sears or other store and seen what looks to be the same HF tool for double or more the cost. It may not be the same thing, but both are stamped made in China.

One tool I bought is the HF electric impact wrench, it has held up well and was well worth the cost. They also sell a bearing/race driver set that has been very useful, and has lasted quite well.

i use them in my fab shop at work,i had the good stuff and the crap tools.they hold up pretty well.and see heavy duty use.i have a few impacts as well,they are better than my crapsman one .(sad)most of the other stuff is utter crap.dont ever buy any cutting blades or abrasives from them.

The store name suggests everything they sell is imported. Everything I have bought from them has been worth the price.

I've got an air grinder not bad but after 5min of use the handle gets cold!
other then that its done me right for 2years.

I post this every time, if you are buying and likley to loose them like me then more power to ya if you want to pass them on to your grandkids then buy a name brand

Their air tools aren't to bad. They aren't big on their power, easily stall out due to lax in tolerances. I have several of their die grinders. Both inline and right angle. Two of each, just because they were cheap and it makes going from carbide bit to sanding disc faster. I have one of their air saws, easily stalled, but has it's uses. Air flanger works ok so far, but for $20 worth the investment.

the hlvp air guns fall apart after a few uses, I suggest you only shoot Primer
I started shooting clear coat on a fender and the gun started spitting droplets

If you buy stuff from them just be aware of the quality issues associated with "made in China". I usually only buy items that I would consider to be disposable. I did buy a die grinder which I needed to use on a road trip thinkin it would be disposable and it's still going strong after a couple of years. Got a 1/2" impact wrench at the same time and it lasted to do the job I needed it for. But, the first time I tried to use it for a job at home it proved out my "disposable" concept. Their paint spray guns are not bad for quick primer coverage but certainly not the quality of a brand name gun. Their stuff is pretty much an example of "you get what you pay for".

The store name suggests everything they sell is imported. Everything I have bought from them has been worth the price.

I think that sums it up pretty well. It's worth the price.

Depends what you want it for really. For my every day use tools, I
grab something else. For the once in a while tools, they are good.

Take the flyer into, of all places, WalMart, and see if they'll sell you their Campbell-Hausfeld stuff for the same price. They did for me.

I did the same thing at the local Home Depot with their "match it, plus 10%...". My guess is that the same company makes both the DeWalt in yellow and the Milwaukee Power in red. Watch HF small print for the "factory reconditioned" that's where I've had problems.

Ingersol Rand???:smilebox:

Like these?:-D

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=4312
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32431
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46085

My point is, Harbor Freight sells a lot of crap...but it's not all crap. I think it is better for those of us who have a store nearby.
If you are interested in specific items, let me know and I can check them out for ya. I might even have experience with some of the stuff you are looking at. I'm going down there this weekend.:supz:

I as well have a local store 5 miles right up the road =), The wrench sets are nice to buy and cut up, there are so many times that I needed to get in a tight place but couldnt cause i didnt want to harm my good tools easy solution is buy a harbor freight wrench set cut the wrench to your needed length and finish the job. for the air tools the small grinders are ok, the impact ratchets suck the air ratchets suck the drills are ok and the air chissels are ok, I bought a paint gun kit it was ok for primer, the grease guns really suck they leak bad, for the tools that are ok you must at least have a hell of an air compressor to use em or they suck as well, I run a 5hp 60 gallon husky-(rebranded ingersolrand) it powers the cheap air tools just fine but my 20 gallon 2hp craftsmen compressor wouldnt do squat!.

Shawn.

We also have a H.F. store nearby and I have the opportunity to at least look over the stuff before I buy it. I've got a cut off tool that I've used for about 5 years now so no complaints there, the 3" discs they sell for it are as good as any brand I've used. As said before, the paint gun is good for primer. I've also got a couple other air tools from them (3/8 air rachet, shear & nibbler) that I've not used enough to assess, although they did the job I bought them for. I have used several sets of the quick couplers, they don't seem to last too long. I don't know why I keep buying them???
C

all I can say is if you buy HF tools to save money.....make sure you go elsewhere and spend the bucks you saved on a good pair of safety glasses for when you uses those tools.

-RPM

-
Back