hard into second gear?

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
working with an a 833 OD, that I had the shifter and tranny rebuit by Brewers.

I probably have less than 200 miles on the tranny since the rebuild(s), and there is no gear grinding..
shifting into 1st, 3rd and 4th there is a 'click or notch' that the shifter falls into,shifts real nice, however when pulling back into second gear, the shifter feels like it locks, then I need to give it a hard pull to get it into 2nd gear,, this is on second only.No gear grinding,, just feels like the shifter gets stuck..
I have lubed it, sprayed the plates and linkage with kroil,,,
I set the linkage up using the 1/4 inch or what is specified dowel, made sure it progressed all the way through the shifter,,

any ideas?
thanks

Adjust the linkage rod so it has a little more travel.
This is on the 1 - 2 shift?
If so the rod needs to be longer.

This is not a "length of rod" issue.

Either your shifter body has debri damage inside, or the transmission has internal problems, IE something wrong in the sideplate, a bent shift fork, or syncro problems.

If it shifts OK with engine off, it's surely in the gearbox.

This is not a "length of rod" issue.

Either your shifter body has debri damage inside, or the transmission has internal problems, IE something wrong in the sideplate, a bent shift fork, or syncro problems.

If it shifts OK with engine off, it's surely in the gearbox.

Ok
I agree with what I posted on the "length of rod" it is most likely fine.
It may be in the "adjustment of the rod" and also do you have bolt stops in the shifter that might limit the travel?

Maybe I misread the OP. I took it that it "will" go into gear, it's just hard to shift when driving.

it will be near the weekend before I can get back out to try shifting with the engine off,, but I will

for clairification,, with the engine running the vehicle in motion...
down shifts into 1st with the vehicle rolling are fine
up shifts into 3rd and 4th feel fine

upshifts into 2nd ( from 1st) feels like the shifter gets stuck, I have to give it a tug and the shift handle moves just a fraction and it falls into gear..

for these tough 1st to 2nd up shifts,, as long as I remember to keep the clutch planted until the shift is complete,, no gear grinding...

-
Back