hard jerk into reverse

-

kielbasavw

Reaction score
65 plymouth valiant 225 with 904. When cold and choke is on. Throwing car in reverse jerks the car so damn hard makes a loud thump. If I do any forward gear it shifts smoothly.

What gives

65 plymouth valiant 225 with 904. When cold and choke is on. Throwing car in reverse jerks the car so damn hard makes a loud thump. If I do any forward gear it shifts smoothly.

What gives

Two things most likely:

Idle is high when choke is on which will cause harsh reverse engagement

After throwing it into reverse with a high idle for several years you can polish the outside of the sun gear shell which can cause harsh engagement at any idle speed.

You might want to drop the pan and try checking the low/reverse band adjustment too.

Drive engagement unless selecting L1 does not engage low/reverse band, reverse always engages the rear band.

Idle isn't too high. Hell sometimes I get lucky and it doesn't jerk but that's rare. Now I always throw in drive, then back over to reverse.

Check your motor mounts shift into drive and then reverse with the hood open and see if the motor shifts one way or the other also look at the transmission mount while someone else you trust shifts it.

Brian

-
Back