Hard shifting in reverse

-

snewpy

Reaction score
Question for anyone with 4 speed rebuilding experience, The 1-2 shifter lever and the reverse shifter lever cam together and are marked either A or B for more or less clearance. Have all the shift linkage dialed in with 1/4 pin in shifter just wondering how hard has anyone noticed to get in reverse just sitting on the bench. I know in the car it would be somewhat easier being its all bolted down but it is really hard almost impossible to get in on the bench. I have the lever marked B but dont want to change it out if it will be ok once the fluid is in an bolted in the car. Any help would be appreciated. All by the way does anyone have a lever marked A, they might want to get rid of.

Was wondering about this myself until I bolted the transmission in the car. End of problem. The detent springs in the shifter are stiffer than you would think. Once the tailhousing is bolted in you have something to push against and get the shifter into reverse.

grumpuscreature thanks for the reply I know what your are saying but I can get the shifter handle in reverse it is just extremely hard to get the trans to go in reverse I almost have to use two hands to push it in.

Are you just moving the lever on the side of the trans case by hand? There's so little leverage that way.

Make sure the shift forks are in the neutral position. If they're not properly sitting in the detents, it'll be impossible to engage reverse.

Are the reverse shaft ball and spring installed porperly?

Thanks guys I found the problem took the sidecover back off found a small burr on the 1-2 shift lever cam. Cleaned it nice and smooth, problem gone. Thanks again

AS a side note: Sometimes the synchros bind and if you hit 4th. THEN reverse it drops right in. Just .02 I've learned with sticks.... If your bench shifting it's gonna be rough.

-
Back