Hard start !!! :(

-

pilotsf

Reaction score
Hello guys! YOU are needed again. I have 72 scamp 318 v8 2 bbrl. I have a recent development. The car is having a random hard starting issue. especially after the car sits for a period of time. It will crank but not start. In the morning when its cold i put a ink pen to open the butterfly a bit and she will go. is there a adjusting screw to open the butterfly a little. I wired the butterfly open at all times. That helped but hard to start all the time. New carb time ? Please help.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 170
if it is a stock carb set up:

Look for the choke pull off on the passenger side of the intake manifold. It has a rod that goes to the choke. Remove this (2 bolts & the rod) and underneath there is usually a nut that you can use to set your choke leaner or richer depending on which way you turn it. You loosen the nut and then adjust the choke leaner or richer and then resecure the nut.

Then put the choke pull off back on and try it. Repeat as necessary until you get it to run better.

The butterfly is adjusted by rotating the choke spring housing if that is what type you have.
There are three phillips screw holding it, and you turn it counter clockwise to ease off on the choke.
Then I would go after the spark plugs, since it was probably way to rich from the choke being out of adjustment.

if it is a stock carb set up:

Look for the choke pull off on the passenger side of the intake manifold. It has a rod that goes to the choke. Remove this (2 bolts & the rod) and underneath there is usually a nut that you can use to set your choke leaner or richer depending on which way you turn it.

Then put the choke pull off back on and try it. Repeat as necessary until you get it to run better.

Yep, that's the other style from what I described.

Also, check your accelerator pump squirt for your carb.

Just cycle the accelerator linkage and look down the carb (with the engine off) and make sure that the accelerator pump is giving a full squirt during the stroke of the linkage. the carter 2 bbls use a leather accelerator pump against a cast iron bore, and I found that they wear out and loose some "squirt". If you get an erratic squirt, buy a rebuild kit and replace the accelerator pump.

also:

Is it points or electronic ignition?

If it is electronic, check the reluctor to pickup gap in the distributor. It should be set with a brass feeler gauge (non-metallic) to .007". I once installed the electroinc conversion kit on a Barracuda and didn't check the reluctor gap. It would start ok cold, but then when it was warm, no. My reluctor gap was just over .030". after setting the reluctor gap, it never no started warm again.... When it warmed up, the gap expanded just enough to not start...

Right on guys! I'll give all that a try. It's also stalling at stop lights now and then.
Time for new plugs and a rebuild kit I think. A new fuel filter too.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

I have the stock ignition. No points. I def think the carb is done. I'm going to try and adjust the choke. A new carb is on the way. Pretty cheap.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

-
Back