Hard starting

-

lil elephant

Reaction score
Does anybody have the problem of hard starting after the car has set for 5-10 min. My car refuses to restart after a few min, it finely does after cranking on it . I am thinking vapor lock or heat soak, if so,any suggestions on a fix????

lil elephant said:
Does anybody have the problem of hard starting after the car has set for 5-10 min. My car refuses to restart after a few min, it finely does after cranking on it . I am thinking vapor lock or heat soak, if so,any suggestions on a fix????

Summers get pretty brutal out here. I had a vapor lock issue for a little while last year. I installed a 1/4" phenolic carb spacer (which doesn't trasfer the heat from the intake directly to the carb) and a actual fuel cooler on my car. Car fires right up. I do run a 91/100octane mix, have a MSD box which backs a punch of a spark, mini starter and a optima battery. I'm sure a combo of those things certainly let me fire it up without any issues.

Then there is always the starter could be getting hot and slowing down, carb leaking fuel which could flood or empty the bowls, etc.

Just my .02. I have a brand new carb so i didnt have to worry about that being the case, the spacer did help me out though for sure.

-Mike

This is after it is warmed up I take it. I have found that with my changes over the winter I need to spin the motor over then tap on the gas to start it. I used to pump the gas then start it but it acts like it's flooded if I do that so now I turn the starter and then pump the gas. It could be heat soak or if you made changes over the winter that might have affected something.

I used to have those problems with my car before I got my RPM Air-Gap and ceramic coated and thermal barriered tti headers. Just those two parts made a WORLD of difference. Before when I'd shut the car off after running down the highway or a quick blast around town, it was soooo hot under the hood, heat soak boiled the gas out of the bowls therefore inducing vapor lock. It's really a combination of both. I you don't want to spend the money on the intake and headers then deffinatly get a carb spacer. Thats my 2 cents :thumbup:

It could be a lot. The fuel is designed to evaporate fast, and is leaner right out of the pump now, thecarbs are very open(vents are big), the starter may be sluggish. I dont think it's boiling the fuel away in 10 minutes. I'm more inclined to think it's a "state of tune" thing. Has it always done this? IS it worse when it's hot out? Does it flood easy when you do pump the gas to get it fired?

I discovered my Mopar has this exact same hard start condition the other day. It would not start after sitting a few minutes after a 30 minute drive. I have a stock 340 with edelbrock carb, 1" edelbrock 4 hole spacer and open air cleaner.. It seems like it was flooded on restart. I have to keep the accelerator pedal floored and after about 10-15 sec of cranking, it starts. Any suggestions?

-
Back