Hard to start when hot ??

-

MR.7DUSTER3

His money, My time
Reaction score
We have a 360 in the Duster with an Edelbrock 700 ,starts fine when cold but once you shut it off ,its a b*tch to get started again,
When my son runs it down to the gas station to fill it up,he shuts it off gets gas and then trys to start it again ,no way. You have to take the air cleaner off and mess with the choke and then it will start.

Has any one had simular problems with their edelbrock and if so what did you do to fix it besides changing it to a Holley

Thanks, Bob / Bryce

I will let a carb tech jump in here, but if the automatic choke has got to be closed to start it I would think there is a vacuum leak somewhere or it is flooding and dripping fuel in the intake when it is shut off..... when it does start is there black smoke out the exhaust ?

This will get more help in the correct thread and stay on the home page

Sounds like heat soak/vapor lock, mine used to do that all the time till I put a phenolic spacer between carb and manifold, no issues after that. Is it doing this after engine is fully warmed up/hot??

You say "mess with the choke?"

Divine that. Are you OPENING the choke (which should already be open?)

Hell in Anaheim, you should be able to REMOVE the choke

If it's not open, try this---next time the engine is cold, loosen the screws on the choke housing and rotate the choke until it IS open COLD. Jack the throttle once to be sure it's not "hung" on the linkage, and just LEAVE it open.

If you have to CLOSE it when hot, as memike alluded to, if you have to CLOSE the choke when warm to start, either the carb is incredibly lean for some reason, a great big vacuum leak, or the accelerator pump is not working. Look down the throats and jack the throttle. You should instantly see a good strong shot of fuel in both front barrels.

Had the same problem w/my 72 Duster. Eddy carb & intake. Notice the old coil was getting very hot (too hot to touch) replaced it with a MSD Blaster 2 and added the Eddy 1/2" wood spacer/insulator plate. Not sure which piece fixed it (guessing the 1/2" plate), perhaps a little of both, but she starts right up no matter how hot it gets now. Easy fix...Just a thought

Good luck getting it sorted,
Pat

-
Back