Hardboard Headliner Install in Place of Cloth

-

maxwedge1962

Reaction score
I am looking for some input/advice. Has anyone ever installed/replaced or know anyone that has installed/replaced the cloth headliner in a 1970/71 Duster with the 72-76 hardboard or molded headliner?

My friend has a 72 Duster 340 (original owner) with the hardboard headliner and he was asking me that since I need to replace my headliner, why not use the hardboard liner. We looked but everything listed is for 72-76. Does anyone know if the roof design is actually different for 70 and 71 Dusters verse the 72-76 Dusters. We can't see where there should be any difference as they sure didn't change the body style, at least that you notice just looking at them.

I would appreciate any input from fellow FABO members that may have done this or know why you can't or shouldn't switch over.

It just seems that it would be easier and cleaner to install the hardboard or molded liner. I am not doing a resto on my 70 Duster, just making it into a car to drive like I had back in the 60's and 70's. Just make it the way you want it and enjoy cruising in it.

Thanks

It just seems that it would be easier and cleaner to install the hardboard or molded liner. I am not doing a resto on my 70 Duster, just making it into a car to drive like I had back in the 60's and 70's. Just make it the way you want it and enjoy cruising in it.
Never a truer word has been said! Had one when I was 16, built it myself, and had the best time of my life. Didn't care about the "numbers" back then.

The trick is to find one in good condition. I hear the reproductions are not so great.

The trick is to find one in good condition. I hear the reproductions are not so great.

Thanks for the info. It sounds from what you said the hardboard liner will work, but not so much if it is an aftermarket headliner? I guess I had better start looking because I doubt if there are too many original headliners sitting out there any more in good condition or NOS. Thanks again. I would appreciate any additional information anyone has regarding the headliners and swapping them out.

I have experience with both a factory piece fiber board being installed on a 70 duster, worked just fine.

Also a current style molded being installed on a 73 Dart Sport, replacing original fiber board with the new molded style, also worked fine.

Took front seats out, and had a helper, required minor trimming.

Tucks in under the front and rear window seal lip. Dome light, sun visors, rear view mirror, sail panels, window trim rails, all help hold it up. Also these clips, Headliner retaining clip fits all A- B- and E-body

I have experience with both a factory piece fiber board being installed on a 70 duster, worked just fine.

Also a current style molded being installed on a 73 Dart Sport, replacing original fiber board with the new molded style, also worked fine.

Took front seats out, and had a helper, required minor trimming.

Tucks in under the front and rear window seal lip. Dome light, sun visors, rear view mirror, sail panels, window trim rails, all help hold it up. Also these clips, Headliner retaining clip fits all A- B- and E-body

Thanks for taking the time to respond!!! I really appreciate this information and will plan on replacing the cloth with the hardboard or molded headliner and get the clips you linked. I have my seats out so it should help make the install go a little easier I would think. Thanks again.

-
Back