Hardwood floors

-

LocuMob

Fluid Technician
Reaction score
Here I am at 4:08 central time sanding the hardwood floor of our porch and totally appreciate the people who do this for a full time living, or part time, or at all. It sucks! We've done it on the cheap, but being rookies we have had to do all the steps twice. Rent everything we needed to twice. I've got close to 10 hours on a 10 x 30ish size room in sanding the edges and going over most of the floor with a power hand sander. The son in law did the main part with a drum dander, then the daughter did it again. We probably have spent close to what it would have cost someone else to do it in a day or two, and I've got the back pain to prove it. The girlfriend is going bonkers because I haven't gotten it done til now (by the time she gets home) and I don't even want to do it again. Almost done and glad I am. To all and any floor redoers, your job is not for me. At least it should look good when it's done. Rant over.

I get involved in a lot of stuff. Floor sanding isn't one of them. A guy with the right stuff would be in and out in no time. They can fix blemishes, if you want them to be fixed, and they can finish it with the right tools and materials.

We've been involved in a number of remodels and even flip, and over the last 40 years, if I've learned anything it's this...
Leave the rough plumbing to plumbers, leave the electricity to electricians (including HVAC), and leave flooring to floor guys.

For us, when weighing the time and effort, and the finished product in these three areas, it has ALWAYS paid dividends to higher a pro. They are in and out in record time, they know their jobs and are good at them, and the finished product is always great.

You will enjoy those floors when its all said and done and you can sit back and enjoy looking at them. Also knowing how much money you probably saved, even though you had to rent the equipment twice, is satisfaction!

Im dreading it when I have to do my floors. Let me tell you a dog is not friendly to hardwood floors! Perhaps carpet is in order when it comes that time.

You will enjoy those floors when its all said and done and you can sit back and enjoy looking at them. Also knowing how much money you probably saved, even though you had to rent the equipment twice, is satisfaction!

Im dreading it when I have to do my floors. Let me tell you a dog is not friendly to hardwood floors! Perhaps carpet is in order when it comes that time.

X2, if i dont know how to do it,i just look on line nothing bettter than doing it yourself and saveing a ton of money.if you have DEEP pockets witch some do here on this board ,pay someone to do it.Hell you could even say ya i did that.:wack:

was the hardwood stained?
usually this can be done without removing the old finish..but you
didn't want to hear that.

We've been involved in a number of remodels and even flip, and over the last 40 years, if I've learned anything it's this...
Leave the rough plumbing to plumbers, leave the electricity to electricians (including HVAC), and leave flooring to floor guys.

For us, when weighing the time and effort, and the finished product in these three areas, it has ALWAYS paid dividends to higher a pro. They are in and out in record time, they know their jobs and are good at them, and the finished product is always great.

Try telling that to my girlfriend! She prefers to do everything on her own, except plumbing, she's just wired that way.

Let me tell you a dog is not friendly to hardwood floors! Perhaps carpet is in order when it comes that time.

She says the dog isn't allowed on the porch when it's done. That's the door she goes out to do her business, so I'm wondering how that will work.

was the hardwood stained?
usually this can be done without removing the old finish..but you
didn't want to hear that.

I didn't want to hear I was getting to do anything with the floor! It wasn't stained, but had 5-6 heavy coats of paint on it. It gummed up the paper really fast on the smaller sanders I used. I got really good at changing sand paper on those.

Seems like you could have just used paint stripper on it. Wonder how much lead you got into.

..o.k, thought you were re-doing an original natural finish.
..i may have tried stripper as well for paint removal.

So I'm assuming you won't be using this "porch" as the "engine build clean room?" LMAO

-
Back